C H A P T E R O N E | Once Upon A Snowball

Paige (9 years old)
My eyes flutter open to the intense glow of the rising sun shining through my bedroom window, silhouetting the birds and trees in front of its harsh rays.

I throw the duvet off of my body and walk over to my wardrobe to find the red and white dress I had laid out the night before. I slide it over my long brown hair and grab a pair of black denim shorts to put on underneath.

After putting on a pair of socks and brown leather boots, I walk over to my large mirror and brushed my hair, wincing as my brush slowly but surely untangled the knots.

I run down the stairs, my dark hair flowing behind me, and race into the kitchen. I look up with my big blue eyes as my small figure comes into contact with someone. It was my father, the alpha of our pack.

"Sorry dad," I apologise. He looks down at me and smiles.

"It's alright, Paige. Just slow down around corners," He smiles. I laugh and nod my head, then I turn on my heels and race outside to find my friends, Henry, Bonita, Ronnie and Amber.

"Boo!!" I hear from behind me. I jump and turn around to find my friends laughing at me.

I fold my arms over my chest in a disappointed manner. "Don't scare me like that!" I shout angrily. They all frown.

"Sorry. We wanted to give you a fright. We didn't mean to make you jump!" Bonita apologises.

Then I hear a scream. We all turn to face the pack house, unsure if it was a scream of fear or a shriek of excitement. We quickly glance at each other, then run inside to make sure everything is alright.

"Dad!" I shout as he comes down the stares. A quick look of worry passes his face before he notices me, and he calms down.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"Did you hear that scream?" I ask him. He nods and laughs.

"That was your mother. You know how I was telling you that I was going to ask her to marry me?" he asks, and I nod in understanding. "Well, I asked, and she got excited when she saw the ring and squealed." he explains.

My mouth forms an 'o' shape and I feel my face go red with embarrassment. I laugh and go upstairs to find mum. I hear someone gush and I run into my mum and dad's bedroom.

My mum, and the beta's mate, Cassandra, were sitting on the bed looking at something small in awe. I knock on the frame of the doorway and my mothers head snaps up.

"Paige, I didn't see you there! Come in! Look at the ring your father got for me!" she exclaims, holding out her hand.

I walk in further and my mum shows me a ring encrusted with purple jewels.

"Those are called amethysts," she explains, clearly excited. A look of concern spreads across my face as I realise the ring itself is made of a silver coloured metal.

"Mum, isn't that silver?" I ask, looking at the ring closely. She smiles and shakes her head.

"No, that's white gold. It doesn't burn werewolves like silver does, if that's what you're wondering." she answers.

"Oh, alright," I say. She gives me a smile and pulls me in for a gentle hug.

"You're going to have one of these one day," she whispers as she pulls away, displaying the ring on her finger.

"Ha, I wish," I say, smiling.

2 days later.
I ran out into the snow, the cold, fresh air instantly hitting my face. Bonita, Henry, Amber and Ronnie follow closely behind, keeping me company.

I stop dead in my tracks, then pick up a handful of snow and cup it in my hands, forming a ball. I turn around and throw the snowball dead straight at Amber's arm.

She looks at me with a playful glare, then picks up her own snowball and throws it back at me. I only just dodge the ball of snow, it narrowly missing my ear.

I hear an 'oof' and turn around to see where it came from. Ronnie was on the ground, with a small pile of snow on his head. The moisture seeping through his beanie was visible, making his head cold. He began to shiver, and everyone else turn around to face him, then burst out laughing. He frowns, and I walked over and help him up. He smiles at me, then playfully glares at Bonita, Amber and Henry.

I giggle, but then they all glared at me. I stop, then turn around with a snowball in my small, cold hands. I inside, and throw it directly at my father.