Crossed My Mind

CHAPTER 19

CROSSED MY MIND

*

"Are you sure," Harry asked from outside my flat. He looked like a nervous little boy standing out in my hallway and waiting for reassurance. It was the first time I'd invited him to spend time with me in my flat whilst the girls were around.

"Get inside," I urge, grabbing his wrist and pulling him lightly.

He finally surrenders, his tall figure following behind me. He shuts the door quietly behind him and simply stands there for a few seconds, taking in his surroundings. I begin to feel insecure about my living space as my eyes dart to the dozen fluffy, pink pillows on the sectional, stack of magazines and candles on the center table and the load of embarrassing photos scattered around the walls in silver, glitter frames. Harry's flat was the completely opposite of mine and the girls'. 

"Well this is quite-" he clears his throat and runs his hand through his quiff, "feminine."

I rolled my eyes, "There are females living here." 

He raised his hands as a gesture saying he was backing off. I smiled playfully.

"Make yourself comfortable," I said before he started towards the sectional. "Actually... wait." I rushed over to the sectional and moved aside all of the pillows, throwing some of them off to the floor. "Ok. Sit." I smiled and he laughed at my actions. 

He plopped himself comfortably on the couch and laid his head back along the back of the cushion. I went to the kitchen to start making some tea, feeling Harry's eyes on me. I looked over my shoulder to catch his eyes lingering on my body. I flashed a smile and turned back around to continue on my way towards the kitchen. 

I have my back to him as I'm setting up the mugs and heating up the water. I hear a click of the remote and the television turns on- the familiar sound of the Lifetime Channel quietly filling the silence in the flat. Instead of changing it, Harry sat there casually watching it. He was such a man in his ways but  he had no shame in enjoying my soppy movies and articles. I admired that about him.

I finished up the tea and headed over to the living area, placing the mugs on  the coffee table and interrupting Harry's entertainment by straddling his lap. He lifted his head, smiling and his arms automatically found my waist. I tangled my hands into his hair.

"Have I told you how good your hair looks like this?"

"You might have mentioned it a couple times," he flashed his dimples at me.

"Just crossed my mind," I pecked his lips softly.

I left his lap to sit beside him. I slung my legs over his, resting them while he held them in place. I grabbed a pillow from the floor beside the couch and fluffed it behind my neck to get completely comfortable. We sat in silence watching the television for a while- Harry and I intertwining fingers without even noticing. 

"Want an island get-away? Book a flight with Expidia and Visit the Carribean."

On the screen were the most beautiful, scenic photos of the islands there. I looked over at Harry's face when he squeezed my hand gently. He was so involved in what was on the television; eyes wide and focused. I remembered him telling me how badly he wanted to travel. He was so passionate about it, I wanted so badly to show him the entire world.

"We should book a round-trip for the both of us," I blurted out. 

He turned to me, still wide-eyed but not in focus, in shock. "Really?"