48- No Way of Knowing

Start from the beginning

Cal, hang in there, baby! Please!

---

"Urgent... See... Inspector... Hughes!" I gasped, barging in through the front doors of the police station. The desk clerks jumped up in fright; apparently, people here don't just barge in with their cheeks red shouting demands.

Sean quickly took over from me, standing over the table to talk to the middle-aged officer.

"Please, maam. We have got to see Inspector Hugh. It's really important. Our friend is-"

"What's going on here?" 

A balding man, probably in his late-50's, stepped out of a door and entered the room, hands on his hips. He had a commanding, scary look- especially since at the moment, his moustache was bristling with annoyance.

"Inspector Hugh, sir, our friend- Cal, the guy we were here with yesterday, is kidnapped, sir."

"Kidnapped? What do you mean?"

"Well, like we said yesterday, he was looking for his brother, and-"

"Wait. Who's brother? You told me your sister was lost yesterday," he said suspiciously, his eyes darting in between my twin brothers.

"Yes, but we've found her. Sir! We're serious, he's in deep-"

"How do you know he's kidnapped?"

Ivan was getting exasperated.

"That is irrelevant, sir. The thing is, he's in danger, and we really-"

"Irrelevant?" Inspector Hugh's face purpled. "Nothing is irrelevant if you want to make a report, son! In fact-"

I couldn't stand it anymore. Here they were, trying to explain to this idiot who wanted to hear everything before he did anything, when my boyfriend was probably being tortured... or even mutilated right now!

"ENOUGH!" I screamed, jumping up from my sit, tears streaming down my eyes. "Look, if you want evidence, I can give it to you, but..." I sobbed. "Could you just please save him first? I'm telling you, inspector, we're not lying. I swear!"

The sight of my tears seemed to make the men nervous. My twin brothers immediately enveloped me and dabbed my tears away, shooting dirty looks over their shoulders, whilst Inspector Hugh became flustered- I could hear him giving out instructions and yelling at the other police officers. The quiet, lazy office suddenly became a hive of activity- chairs scraped and keyboards typed away as the Inspector stood shouting in the midst of all the chaos.

"Maam- I mean, miss, do you know where your boyfriend is?"

Not waiting for my answer, Ivan quickly took out his phone and gave the officers the street name, and some descriptions of how the place looked like. I chocked as he described the place, remembering how the basement smelt like, how dark and creepy it was. My poor baby! He must be so frightened!