Chapter 36

Chapter 36

*6 months later*

It was December again -- December 19th, 2013 to be exact. And today was probably the most important day of my life, because it was the day Harry and I had been together for one year. Without a doubt, it had been the best year of my life. Harry had changed me for the greater good, in ways I didn't know I could be changed. He ignited a spark in me that I didn't know I had. What I had with Harry was something you didn't see every day, something that was extraordinary. I planned to tell him this tonight, when we were doing whatever he had planned for us. This was the longest I had been in a relationship, so I didn't know what to expect from all this.

I was extremely nervous. Harry had refused to tell me anything or give me hints about what we were doing. I stooped so low as to ask the rest of the boys. Niall almost let something slip once, but Zayn hit him upside the head. Liam had found it very amusing, but Harry just told Niall to shut up. Harry had cooked. He and the boys came over this morning. He had to make extra since Niall ate at least three servings. Louis still hadn't come out of his room in about a day, but no one seemed concerned. It seemed like I was the only one who checked up on him, but the boys knew him better than I did, so I wasn't too worried.

Eleanor still hadn't stopped by to get her bags, and although I was grateful, I expected her soon. Zayn noticed that I was thinking deeply, so he draped an arm over my shoulder. "What's up?"

"I was thinking about Eleanor," I admitted. I traced his ZAP tattoo, and cringed when I felt him tense up at the mention of the girl who broke his friend's heart. "I know, I shouldn't be, but I thought she would be here by now."

"I still can't believe she did what she did." He said through clenched teeth.

"Have you talked to Louis since then?"

Zayn didn't answer for a few minutes, just played with a piece of my hair. "How can I not? He is my best mate and our job will always come first. I am just surprised he is still upset about it. It's been six months, Am."

Just as I was about to pull his hand away from the braid he had made, there was a knock on the door. "Expecting someone?"

He shook his head. "Nope, Niall didn't order food did he?"

"I wouldn't be surprised," I muttered, and stood up to get the door. When I opened it, I froze. It was Eleanor, and she looked great. It annoyed me because I kind of expected her to look like shit, since she just crushed someone to a million pieces. "Eleanor." My voice was bland.

"Hi," she whispered, and awkwardly rocked back on her heels. "I just came to get my stuff."

"Oh," I said, "I'll get it for you." I didn't invite her in, and I didn't know if Louis had decided to come out of his room. Just seeing her filled me with the anger I had for her that night at the bowling alley. Honestly, I forgot she still had her bags here. Louis wanted to leave them at the beach house but we brought them along anyways. It had been six long months, and she chooses now to come and get them? I collected her bags, which had been collecting dust, from the hall closet, and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she said, licked her lips, and then focused on me. "How is he?"

I knew who she meant. "You actually care?"

"Of course I do, Amabel. We were together for two years."

I crossed my arms. "I know. Two years and you did that to him," I snapped, and then closed my eyes for a few seconds. "I think you should leave, before he wakes up."

Her bottom lip quivered. "Okay. I'm sorry."

I pursed my lips and didn't reply as she walked away to her car, and then drove down the street. Only when she was out of sight did I close the door, and when I turned around, almost slammed into Louis. "Oh, hey Lou. What's up?"

"Who was that?" he asked, ignoring my question.

"Umm," I scratched the back of my neck, "it was no one."

Louis furrowed his brow in confusion, and then his eyes widened in understanding. Then his lips pressed into a thin line and his blue eyes clouded. "What did she want?" his voice was flat.

"Just her stuff," I said quietly, and then side-stepped him to the kitchen. "Have you seen Harry?"

"Not since last night. He's...busy." He smiled and trailed behind me.

"Doing what?" I asked. Last I had seen him was when he was making breakfast. Niall had been jumping up and down next to him, asking for more food.

"I can't tell you." He smirked.

"I hate surprises!" I whined, and he just laughed. It was great seeing him outside his room and talking to someone.

"Who was at the door?" Zayn called from the couch where I left him.

I walked over to him and whispered in his ear, "Eleanor. She left."

His nostrils flared at her name. "Good."

I patted his shoulder. "I'm going to get dressed...Did Harry tell you where he was going?"

"Yep..."

"So where'd he go?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I can't tell you that, babe."

"Zayn, come on! Just tell! I even tried bribing Niall with food, but that didn't work either! It's killing me. Please!" I wailed.

"Sorry. But be ready to go at 6 tonight, Harry has something planned." He shrugged.

"Fine," I grumbled. It was great having Niall, Louis and Zayn over. Harry was off doing who-knows-what, and Liam was with Danielle. Sam was out with her other friends in the next town over. When I got upstairs, it dawned on me that I didn't have an anniversary gift for Harry. I was so stupid! How could I have forgotten? I got dressed in daisy dukes, silver flip flops, and a Rascal Flats t-shirt. I pulled my hair into a high bun, grabbed my purse, and walked down stairs. "I'm going out boys! Don't set the house on fire, please!"

"No promises!" Niall screamed from the fridge.

"Where're you going?" Zayn asked from the couch.

"I can't tell you that, babe," I smirked, mimicking him and slammed the door closed behind me.

******

I groaned. It was no use. I couldn't find anything for Harry. I was at the mall, and had probably been through twenty stores looking for the perfect gift. I was just exiting USC -I needed something more meaningful than what they carried- and bumped into a tall, hard male figure. When I looked up to see who it was, I smiled.

"Hey Amabel!" Liam smiled, and I gave him a hug. Holding his hand was Danielle, and they seemed like they were on a date. This is where they must have been this morning.

"Hey guys!" I brushed my hair from my face.

"What are you doing here alone?" Danielle asked while squeezing Liam's hand.

"Present shopping for Harry. It isn't going so well." I almost whined.

Liam chuckled and shifted his hand to drape around Danielle's shoulder. "Need some help?"

"I don't think that's a good idea..." I drifted off.

"Why? How about a suggestion instead?"

I bit my lip. "Okay, fine. Thanks. What do you suggest I get him?"

Liam thought for a minute. "A mixed tape or CD or somethin'?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Liam. It's one year anniversary. Not one week."

"Ugh, I'm sorry! I'm not good at getting gifts, Dani knows it!"

She nodded. "For our one-year anniversary, he got me Justin Bieber's new album."

"But you listen to it all the time," Liam pointed out. "And you said it wasn't a big deal!"

Danielle laughed and kissed his cheek. "I do listen to it. And it didn't matter to me, all I really needed was you. That was all I cared about."

Liam looked at her like she was the most valuable diamond in the world. Like he was a dying man in the dessert and she was water. There was nothing like it. He kissed her lightly, and kept their brown eyes locked.

I coughed. "Thanks, anyways, guys. See ya later!" I waved, and found my way to my car, where a light bulb went on above my head. I knew what to get Harry.

*****

It was 5pm. I had exactly one hour before I had to be ready for whatever we were doing. Harry was still gone, and I honestly didn't expect to see him before it was time to go. I had already showered and I was sitting on my bed, staring at the gift I had gotten Harry. I smiled, and couldn't wait to see his reaction. It was perfect. Picking an outfit seemed impossible since I didn't know how to dress. I was just about to text Harry and ask him what the hell was going on, when my phone buzzed.

From: Harry <3

To: Amabel

Dress casual...can't wait to see you(:

To: Harry <3

From: Amabel

Me either...see you soon xx

So I did just that. I walked to my closet and put on something casual but cute. I settled for a cute flowly blue dress with a belt at the waist. Since it was freezing outside, I pulled on some black leggings. Around my neck I put an owl necklace and after I tied up my brown combat boots, I did my eye makeup a little darker this time, going for the popular "smoky" look. After some red lipstick, Justin Bieber's 'Someday' perfume and curling my hair, I walked downstairs at exactly five minutes to six. All the boys were waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, and eyes bulged when they saw me.

"Y-You look amazing," Zayn stuttered and everyone else nodded. Sam was holding onto Niall smiling at me.

"Absolutely stunning," Danielle agreed. I blushed and smiled at the floor.

"Paws off, lads. She's mine." A raspy voice said, and Harry appeared from around the corner. He stopped in his tracks at the sight of me, making my cheeks flush even more. "So fucking beautiful..."

"Harry!" Liam scolded for the foul language.

"Sorry," he muttered, green eyes never leaving me.

I cleared my throat. "Are we going or what?"

"Yeah." Smiled Harry and offered his arm. I took his and waved goodbye to everyone, who had smiles plastered on their faces; even Louis. I thought that he would hate to see a happy couple after his nasty breakup. I climbed into Harry's car and watched as he jogged around to the driver's side.

"You look really hot." I blurted. He smiled, flashing me his dimples. He really did look sexy in his tight black jeans, white converse, white t-shirt and navy blue blazer that he had pushed up to his elbows. Along his wrists were his bracelets that he wore everyday; including the one I made him one day when I was bored. His curls were perfectly in place, but he adjusted them anyways.

"Thanks babe, so do you." He chuckled, and started the car, taking off in towards town.

"I'm just going to take a wild guess: You're not going to tell me where we're going?" I said and took his hand, rubbing random patterns in the back of his hand with my thumb.

"You know me so well." He confirmed, and shot me a side-ways smile.

"Of course not," I muttered. "After one year you can't even tell me where we're going for our anniversary!"

He faked a hurt expression. "Do you want to ruin the surprise?"

"Yes and no." I huffed. Harry laughed again and licked his lips. I noticed they were darker than usual."Harry Styles, are you wearing lipstick?"

"What?" he looked confused.

"Your lips are darker than usual."

"Oh," he said. "Thanks, I guess?"

"You are, aren't you?!" I squealed.

"No, I'm not. And we're almost here. Put this on." He narrowly avoided a very embarrassing conversation by handing me a blindfold.

"Harry, I'm not wearing this!" I cried.

"Please? For me?" he pouted his plump lips and peered up at me from under his eyelashes. Why was he so adorable?

"Damn it...fine." I grumbled and tied it over my eyes so all I saw was blackness.

"Hold on..." he said, and I heard a car door slam, and then a few seconds later, heard mine open. Harry's large hands held onto my arms and guided me out of the car.

"If I fall and break my neck or something, I'm going to kill you." I threatened, waving my hands blindly in front of me.

"You're not going to fall, Am." I couldn't see his facial expression, but I knew he was rolling his eyes. "What are you so afraid of? I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

"Um, falling," I swallowed, "and you know...dying. Like I said."

"Stay right here." Harry commanded and I heard the rattling of keys.

I sighed. "Should I be nervous?"

"Nope. Now hush up and come with me." Harry snaked an arm around my waist. I obeyed quietly. The smile never left my lips as Harry led me...somewhere. "Take the blindfold off."

I did, and my eyes grew to the size of basketballs.

"Harry..."

"Happy Anniversary, Amabel."

:-:-:-:-:-:

MWAHAHAHA There's a cliffhanger for you! :) I hate to do this to you guys (sorta) but TODAY IS MY ONE DIRECTION CONCERT! WOOHOO! I'm so excited I can't stay still. They're in Chicago and I'm going with a bunch of friends. Expect to hear all about it on Wednesday. :)

I heard the news this morning. R.I.P. Cory Monteith. He was very talented and he will be missed. Glee will never be the same without him. Prayers to his family and friends. x

I'm sorry I just love Zayn and Amabel as best friends I just ajhiednvoihf

xoxo, Alli