Chapter 29

Chapter 29  

The drive took four hours. It gave me more time to think, but by the time I was in front of Andy’s house, it was too late to turn back. Harry would have been awake by now and no doubt looking for me. That was his personality; always looking to do right. I smiled at the mental image of him looking so hot while trying to be serious. The way his eyebrows came together in concentration and his curls flopped over his eyes made my heart flutter.

I couldn’t believe I was going to see Andy. I missed him so much, but was never able to work up the nerve to contact him. I think it was because I was afraid he wouldn’t want to talk to me after I left.

The scuffing of my shoes was audible as I shuffled up to his front door. Even after all this time it felt so good to be in the place where I grew up. The town was familiar and comforting, and I couldn’t wait to see Andy. I was at his front door. I was going to see the person I had missed the most. After two years of not seeing him, it was going to change.

My hand paused just as I was about to knock. My heart was pounding; I thought it would burst out of my chest. And then I finally did it. I knocked twice, and held my breath. There was a ten second period before someone opened the door.

He was taller, and had short brown hair. His brown eyes focused on me before they widened in shock. He was wearing blue jeans and a plaid shirt, just like when he was younger. A weak smile played at my lips.

“Am-Amabel?” He stuttered in surprise.

I nodded. “Hi, Andy,” I said shyly, a smile playing at my lips.

“W-What are you doing here?” He asked me. 

“I needed a friend and…” I drifted off.

His mouth formed an ‘o’ shape, and he stepped aside. “Come on in.”

“Thanks.” I muttered and walked inside. The place hadn’t changed much; a new piece of furniture here and there. “Where are your parents?” I asked, walking around.

“They went to a conference upstate for my dad’s work. They’ll be back next week.” Andy told me, and stuck his hands in his pockets.

I turned to him, and I couldn’t fight it any longer. I ran over to him and wrapped my arms around his neck. His familiar smell filled my nose, and I smiled. I had missed this so much. “I’m sorry, I just missed you.” I said, and looked down, slightly embarrassed.

“Come on, Am! It’s great seeing you, after all this time!” He grinned, and I punched his arm. Then his expression grew serious. “So why are you here?” He led us to the couch, and sat next to me so our thighs were touching.

I folded my hands in my lap and played with my fingers nervously. “Well, I’m dating this guy…” I started, and stole a glance at him. Andy’s face was smiling, but there was something about it that didn’t reach his eyes like it normally did.

“That’s great! What’s his name?” He shifted on the couch.

“Have you heard of…One Direction?” I asked nervously.

Andy rolled his eyes. “That stupid boy band, what about them?”

I took a deep breath. “Yes, One Direction. My boyfriend is Harry Styles, and he’s in the band so….”

His eyes widened. “What? You’re dating a celebrity? That is so not like you!” He said.

“I know,” I sighed, “but he’s great and we love each other. That’s why I came here.”