6. One Year

I woke up the next morning at 8. I groan and check my phone. May 23rd. The day my parents and brother died. I get up and shower, putting on my black skinny jeans and my Daddy's favorite shirt. I put on a little make up, as much as I love wearing my punk make up, I prefer light makeup. I brush my teeth as I hear a knock on the door.

Oh shit, please don't be Harry. I skeptically open the door a little and see that it's only Caleb. I don't know why but I feel a little.. disappointed? No that can't be it. I rejected him again, someone can only take so much to finally give up.

"Hey Caleb, what brings you here at 9 in the morning?"

He gives me a 'seriously?' look and pushes his way into my apartment.

"Look Cricket I'm not having you spend today of all days alone. I'm taking you out tonight with the guys and you're not going to say anything about it. Okay?"

I groan knowing he'll get his way.

"Fine."

"But you have me all day." He lifts his hands and gives me a cheesy grin.

"Yay!" I sarcastically say. Caleb gives me a look and walks into my kitchen.

"I'm hungry woman, feed me."

I sigh and start making waffles. I look to the table and realize Niall ate all the chocolate chips.

"Well I was going to put chocolate chips on the waffles but a certain member of a boyband ate all of them."

Caleb's eyes light up.

"Harry?" He wiggles his eyebrows.

My mouth falls open. "No Caleb!" I throw batter at him. "It was Niall."

Caleb's laughs, "You know you like Harry."

I don't say anything but turn around and finish the waffles.

Do I like Harry? I don't really know him other than what I've fangirled over.

I put his waffles in front of him and get the butter and syrup. This reminds me of the hours we spent in waffle house eating waffles and remixing songs.

"All I know is ever since they've come into our life, you've been happier."

"Really?" I say stunned.

"Yeah. Like right now, we're actually having a conversation."

I look down when I realize that pushing people hurt them. I've been selfish, I put my feelings ahead of others. I hurt the people that care about me by shutting them out.

"I'm sorry" I say still looking down. I'm not one to apologize to admit that I was wrong but he knows what I mean.

"It's okay. I understand, I'm just glad you're finally coming around. You deserve to be happy. Even before, you always sacrificed yourself for the benefit of others because that made you happy. It made you feel important, wanted. But you deserve to be happy. Don't push Harry away. He's trying."

I nod. "Why is he trying?" I ask still looking down.

"You know back in waffle house freshman year, when Kristi said you have this mysterious vibe about you? Well you still have that, plus darkness and it makes guys curious. Only Harry is the first to keep trying."

I smile a little at the memory, it was the first time we all hung out together since Kristi and Caleb got together.

"You know what you need?" He smiles widely.

"What Caleb?"

"A hair do."

"A hair do? You're such a boy."