I Deserve More Than This

Rebecca (Jacob Whitesides' daughter)

I pulled up to the hotel where I was meeting Ryland and parked. I had to make this the last time I was meeting him in secret. If I had to let him go because of it then I was prepared to do that. I was so in love with him but I knew it wasn't mutual. He was just fucking me to get back at my daddy. At first I had been okay with it but now things had changed for me.

I got out the car and made my way to the room number he had text messaged me. I looked over my shoulder to make sure I wasn't followed and knocked on the door. Ryland answered and pulled me into the room slamming me against the door as soon as it closed. He kissed me and I pulled away.

"I have something to say first and if I don't say it now I never will," I began.

I had rehearsed what I wanted to say over and over on the way over here but now that I was here I couldn't form the words. All I wanted was to be in his arms. I pushed him lightly and he walked backwards and sat down on the edge of the bed. I sat down beside him but was careful not to touch him. He looked at me with a confused look on his face.

"Is this still just about getting back at my daddy for you?" I asked.

He turned away from me and looked down at the ground. He took several deep breaths before he spoke. "I was wondering when we were going to have this conversation. I'll admit at first it was but now I'm not sure what I'm feeling," he said as he looked at me again.

"Well I know how I'm feeling and I love you," I announced.

"Love is a strong word," he said.

"Yeah it is," I said back.

He reached out and touched my face. I leaned my head into his hand. I then got up to leave. I knew this would probably happen. I almost made it to the door when he grabbed my wrist. Neither of us spoke. I just stood there with my back to him. I didn't want him to see the tears in my eyes.

"Rebecca don't go," he said in my ear.

I shivered as I reached for the door handle. I loved the way his breath felt on my skin. He was so close to me if I turned my head I could kiss him but I knew that wasn't a good idea right now. I thought back to when this had all began. It was a little over six months ago. I had let him seduce me. Even though he wasn't my first lover, he was by far the best.

"What do you want from me?" he asked.

I didn't hesitate. I knew exactly what I wanted, but I knew it was impossible. "I want to stop hiding Ryland. I want to walk down the street and hold your hand. I want to be invited to Lynch family functions as your girlfriend. I want more than just sex."

He let go of my wrist and stepped back a little. I thought maybe I had scared him with what I had said a few seconds ago. I turned the knob in my hand and stopped when I heard his voice.

"Yeah I know we haven't talked in months, but I need to talk to you about something important," he said into his phone as I turned around.

I wondered who he was talking to as I listened to the one sided conversation. I should just leave, I thought to myself. I couldn't though. My feet wouldn't move because I knew if I walked out of this hotel room I would never see him again. I wanted him to tell me to stay. To give me some indication that this relationship had hope beyond what it currently was.

"Fine Jacob I can meet you there in an hour," he said.

My head snapped up so quickly I almost got whiplash. Why was he meeting my daddy? I knew they weren't talking and hadn't since that day we all found out about the affair. Mom and daddy had decided to work things out but Ryland had divorced Bethenny.

He hung up the phone and placed it back in his pocket. "You realize this could backfire on me right?"

"What?" I asked confused.

"I'm gonna do what you asked and we're gonna start with Jacob."

He hugged me then kissed me tenderly. "We still have an hour."

Ryland

An hour later we were sitting in the café where I had agreed to meet Jacob. I was nervous. My palms were sweaty as I wiped them on my pants. I watched as Jacob came in and sat down across from us. I could tell by the look on his face he was wondering why Rebecca and I were together. He looked at me then back at her. My throat was so dry and I took a sip of water but it did nothing to help the dryness in my throat. I just needed to get it out.

"For the past five months Rebecca and I have been seeing each other in private. I'll admit to you at first I was doing it to get back at you but it has turned into something different. I really think I'm falling in love with her," I said.

Jacob just stared at me. "Look what I did to you was wrong and unforgivable. Just so you know I did love her but Bea and I have been through so much together that I just couldn't leave when all was said and done. As for you and my daughter she's a grown up and make her own choices and mistakes."

"Thanks, daddy," Rebecca said.

"Listen I gotta go. I'm supposed to be at the studio in thirty minutes," Jacob said.

We both watched him leave then I turned to Rebecca and saw her smiling. "So step two is you come to family dinner on Sunday, right?"

She just nodded.