{Chapter} 20

{Chapter 20}

Toni had never felt so self-conscious in her life. She sat in the middle of a circle of practical strangers while they all stared at her. Even Erik was enjoying putting her through this.

“So, let the questions begin” Emily gripped Judd’s hand and grinned at her.

Toni felt her heartbeat quicken as they started with Little Marty and went clockwise. The questions were meant to have quick answers, so she had to be quick.

“How did you and Erik meet?” Marty asked.

“He came looking for work,” Toni answered truthfully.

“Did you have a beau before him?” the next question came from Aunt Lilly.

“No.”

“What is your religion?” Uncle Marty asked.

Toni looked to Erik, who did nothing but stare at her as if he was anxiously anticipating the answer to her question.

“I’m indecisive about that,” she answered simply.

Every eye in the room turned to Erik, but his gaze didn’t waver from her.

Next came Joe. A tall, lanky man who looked to have quite a few year’s worth of sun tanning his face and arms. “How long have you owned your ranch?”

“Eight years.”

Joe whistled. “You must have been mighty young.”

“I was.”

Next came Aunt Steffie. “Are you pregnant?”

Toni jolted and nearly fell out of her char. “No!”

Everyone laughed, even Erik, and Toni gave him a look.

Then came Pete’s turn. Toni had dreaded this.

“Are you content with where you are in life?” he asked, that same heated look in his eyes that always scared her.

Toni nodded quickly. “Of course. I have a ranch and I get to work in the dirt every day and I… I have a wonderful husband” Toni smiled at Erik, who smiled back so genuinely that she questioned whether it was real or not.

Pete nodded as if he were processing valuable information that needed to be tucked away in his memory bank.

Uncle Phillip asked the next question. “Do you live in a rural area out there?”

Toni nodded. “Fairly rural. The nearest town in two hours of pretty fast riding.”

“Do you like it here in Georgia?” Mrs. McBride asked.

Toni nodded. “It’s a little humid, but it’s a wonderful place to be.”

“Why do you wear men’s clothes?” Eleven-year-old Billy asked.

Everyone laughed around the circle and Toni answered him gently. “Because I work out in the hot sun and a dress just gets in the way.”

“Have you ever regretted marrying Erik?” The next question came from Emily.

Toni looked squarely into Erik’s eyes and answered quite truthfully. “No I haven’t.”

Erik had been the perfect gentleman and she had the highest respect for him, what with doing this for his normal wages and all.

Several “Awes” echoed from the ladies around the room and Toni blushed. All of this attention.

“How do you like being a McBride?” Judd was next in line.