In The Human City

It went silent after we had that small joke together, Dax continued weaving in and out of traffic, honking his horn at people he cut off and yelling profanities at people everywhere.

"Random side thought here, probably a day to late, but why do you own a place in the human city?" I asked, purely curious about the dangerous vampire living amongst his main food source.

"Because I can." His tone was clipped and the glare I got was cold enough to freeze an active volcano with one glance.

Taking the hint I shut my mouth and kept people watching. I was spaced out when Dax pulls up to an beautiful two story house, wrap around deck on both levels. The lawn was very well maintained while a nice white picket fence surrounded the property.

It reminded me of a normal human family home of the well loved doctor or dentist family, not something the scary fighting vampire would own.

"Its beautiful." I sit staring at the normality of the house.

"Thank you, it's been in my family for many years." His tone was stressed, almost as if it pained him to be here.

He didn't say anything else and crawled out and grabbed the bags, including mine. So I followed suit and got out as well.

"Everyone else will be here tomorrow morning to train with you. Of course they can't just disappear all at once for a while, Cain has become paranoid and has a close watch on everyone." Dax explains things as we walk in.

He fiddles with the keys and unlocks the front door. As we step in I am awe struck by how modern and beautiful everything is. This places looks like a family home, a welcoming and warm family. It doesn't suit the Dax I have grown to know.

Come to think if it, I really don't know him all that well. Just what I saw during training sessions. Then again there was worry and kindness when I passed out from the pain, so maybe there is a whole other side to him that I've never seen.

I was so caught up with the homey feeling and my thoughts that I didn't realise that Dax was talking to me.

"Sorry what?" I dumbly reply. He narrows his eyes and gives me a dirty look.

"I said kitchen through there, living room to the right and your room is third on the left down the hallway. My room is upstairs and never go in there. Are we clear?" I could tell he was irritated that he had to repeat himself.

"Yes, very clear." I nod and started towards my room.

"Oh yeah, and your bathroom is across the hall from your room. I'll let you have today to settle in. I'm leaving in a bit to deal with things. You aren't allowed out unless I'm with you." With those orders he heads up stairs and disappears.

Grumbling about how stupid it is that I'll basically be kept inside all the time because I know Dax won't willingly take me in public I trudge off to my room.

It's a basic bedroom with four blank walls, the bed is three mattresses piled on the floor in a corner, and a long six drawer dresser with a giant mirror. So plain compared to the rest of the house.

Not wanting to complain for a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in I search for a pair of comfy shorts and an oversized t shirt and decide to have a shower. After these last few days of traveling non stop I smell pretty funky.

I grab my toiletries and clothes and head across the hall. I walk into the bathroom and my breath is taken away. Someone who enjoys to pamper them selves decorated this bathroom.

There was a huge jet tub in the middle of the room, a waterfall shower in the corner, the toilet was one of those built for comfort and there was a his and her sink set surrounded by granite counter tops.