18 - Strength

Marrying Mr. Shaw - Chapter Eighteen - Strength

(A/N): SORRY THIS CHAPTER WAS MEANT TO BE BEFORE GRADUATION!

Nothing else so destroys the power to stand alone as the habit of leaning upon others. If you lean, you will never be strong or original. Stand alone or bury your ambition to be somebody in the world.

                              - Orison Swett Marden 

I couldn't be more relieved over the fact that Tiffany and I have finally had some quality time of our own. I had to admit that ever since I've met Chris, I've been thoroughly busy and haven't had enough time to spend with my best friend who's been there for me through thick and thin.

I leaned my back on a white building that stood out from the London town I was present in. Tiffany and I decided to go to Hyde Park stables and ride the horses.

When me and Tiffany were 10, we would always go there every week-end afternoon, riding horses until the sky grew darker.

I smiled at the strangers who were riding horses, going past me illustrating a wave. I can say, 99% of the horse riders wore posh, rich outfits with white, long sleeves tops and sweater vest. Typical British tradition, my mother says.

I sighed. I stared down at the clothes I was wearing and now I was feeling a little insecure. I was wearing a white and red checked shirt with dark skinny jeans and dark brown boots.

I watched some of the females my age or older, riding their horses, their long straight hair shinning from the afternoon sunlight. Their clothes seemed fitted it caused their body to look thin and I envied the perfect body shape they had.

I grimaced at the reflection of myself when a bus drove past me. I left my wavy hair loose and now regretted it as the wind wouldn't stop swooshing so my hair looked like a broom stick.

"Little one, you shouldn't feel so insecure." I heard a familiar voice behind me.

I turned around and smiled at the man I call my second father. Jimmy. He was in the white building, standing where I could see him through the window- well you could say that without glass.

He finished brushing one of his horses's hairs and stepped out of the building, standing opposite me with a friendly smile.

Jimmy is incredibly tall, in his early 40's that demonstrated small wrinkles under his eyes. Thick groomed moustache, wide forehead and deep blue eyes, dark hair. He looked pretty good for his age.

"I'm not." I defended with a small chuckle.

Jimmy shook his head, crossing his arms.

"You are just like your mother when she was young." He commented.

Jimmy and my mum used to be best friends when they were young. He has always supported her after dad left my mother. My mother always supported Jimmy too because he also went through a hell of a time after his wife, Sandara died.

Not only was Jimmy supporting my mother but he supported me and Josh too and told us we could visit him anytime in the stables. He owned the London stables and my mother told me many stories about Jimmy's admiration with horses. He loved the way those beautiful creature looked, how they ran with courage, how they are strong enough to lift us human, to guide us, to fight for us.

There were many nights when Jimmy invited me and my family, telling us stories about his past adventures. They were so exciting and I loved sipping hot chocolate listening to his stories.