Exit God Out Book One: The Unexpected Terrestrial Chapter One

Chapter One

(Final Revision Feb 2020) 

Mankind has never had the capacity to predict the future. It has always been their downfall. It is not difficult then, to fathom that a small innocent ritual could lead to a piece of history that would be spoken of forever. 

Jackson Brown Sparrow stepped apprehensively from his truck. The birds paid little attention to whether he was exhausted from driving for days. They were not there to honor his existence anyway.

The dorms of Denver U came into view. With no ability left to hold a single thought, he began to ascend a familiar hill. Out of nowhere, like a pack of wolves, a burst of snow circled him, driving him to his knees. He fought it, throwing his arms around to no avail. For barely a minute, the sound was ferocious, then dissipated. But freaks of nature never disappear without leaving something behind.

He jumped up and bolted to the side of his old dorm. As his hand hit the cold iron, he shoved the ancient door to discover a burst of sweet cinnamon and war light permeating the stairways. 

"Excuse me, are you Jackson? Are you looking for Robert?"

Above him, an angelic face stared down from the railing. He stood frozen, soaking in the delicate lines of her profile as the heavy door slammed behind him.

"Yes, is he around? How do you know my name?"

"He told me all about you."

 "I'm sure he's missing parts. I can fill you in if you like." She smiled as he turned to hear footsteps.

"Stay away from snow storms this week Jackson" He turned to respond but she was gone. A loud voice shattered his dream world."

"Jackson Brown, let the angel fly." Robert was so giddy he could barely stand, his red hair drizzled over his face as he ran up the stairs. Jackson turned to run toward him and the two men barely missed cracking skulls. Robert was not the largest of his species, but his hugs were crushing. They jumped up and down together like two-year-old's. 

"How the hell was New York? Are you back to stay? You still have this ponytail?"

"Whoa there strawberry, too many questions."

"It's my job. Top journalist at the Denver U paper, 1998, and he beat his hand on his chest. "Even got my photo on the wall. Easy to find, it's always surrounded by girls." Robert bounced sideways down the narrow hall, trading a year of memoirs in minutes. He was genuinely interested in Jackson's work. Jewelry may not be considered a manly topic, but Robert prided himself in his interest of subjects other men wouldn't touch. He was born knowing he was here to live with great purpose, and nothing else mattered. 

They came to an open door, where Robert guided Jackson into an historic room. A handful of students were discussing school politics while attempting to decorate a tree in an inebriated fog.

 "Hey everyone, this is my best friend Jackson Brown. Heʼs famous, good-looking, single and First Nations Canadian. Ladies, line up from the left." Robert pointed to the wall, expecting the young women to obey. He passed a hot cup of pure alcohol to Jackson. A quiet student of strapping proportions walked up to him. 

"Surprised you didnʼt blow away out there." Dean extended an arm around Jackson. 

"You saw that?"Jackson said. 

Robert looked at his watch and grabbed the two men by their collars." Time to go upstairs boys. This is the only event of the year no one is late for."