"Mommy?" She rubs her eyes with the back of her hands.

"Good morning, baby," I smile sweetly at her. She must have been too scared to sleep by herself.

"Where did you go mommy?"

"I was uh -- at a friend's house," I tell her, not wanting to mention him just yet. "Come on. We need to go somewhere. I have a surprise for you?"

Her sleepy eyes light up in a second. She's definitely not similar to me in that sense. Even though I hated surprises, this one was an exception.

"What kind of surprise?" She gleams.

"A really good one."

...

It takes about a little over an hour until we finally reach our destination.  Staten Island. Chris drops us off right before the Ferris wheel and tells us he'll wait until the surprise gets here before he leaves. I can tell he's worried but I know he's got a busy schedule today. I tell him that I'll text him and that he doesn't need to worry. He hesitantly agrees, ordering me to keep my location turned on.

Although it's winter and the Ferris wheel is closed, Charlotte has always wished to come here after I told her where I met her biological father.  Even though we didn't meet at this exact one, it's close enough.

Blinking lights decorate the wheel, flashing off and on every now and then.  Charlotte's eyes widen in awe as she gasps. 

"It's so pretty mommy!"  She exclaims as we walk towards the New York Wheel. 

"It is, isn't it," I smile.

"Can we go on there?"

"It's closed since it's winter, but we can still admire it."

I can sense her disappointment, but she still puts on a smile for me. 

"Then when it's not winter, can we come back here?"

"Of course, baby."

"Was this my surprise?"

"Part of it," I answer with an elated grin.  I reach inside for my purse and call him.  He doesn't pick up which kinda worries me, but I shake off the feeling.  Maybe he's driving. 

I simply text him, "We're here." and leave it at that.

"Are we waiting for someone?"  Charlotte asks and I buckle my knees to see her at eye level.

"Yes, someone very important."

"Who?  Like the President?"

I laugh at her response.  Even she knows that the president is an important person. I pinch her chubby cheeks and hold her steadily on the shoulders.

"Someone better than the President."

"Is it your friend?"

"Yes."

"Is it a boy?"

"If I answer that, it wouldn't be a surprise now, would it?"