Chapter 27: On the Run

The man prodded William, who was laying motionlessly in a puddle, with the blunt end of his spear. "Is this the one?" asked the man. 

A gruff voice replied, "No. the boy doesn't look like very conspicuous. You moron, did you already forget how the man looks like? He has some sort of strange coloring. This boy probably got beaten up by robbers, and left here for dead. He doesn't really matter. The boy probably climbed that wall or something, let's go that way." 

"Yes, sir." 

After a span of silence, William heard people talking, and there were more and more voices joining in, and the streets finally returned to its former liveliness before William arrived. 

Opening his eyes, William confirmed for himself that there were no soldiers in sight, and slowly lifted himself out of the puddle. 

He grinned to himself as he surveyed his surroundings, proud of his brilliant escape. It wasn't an accident at all. He totally planned it. Ah-ha-ha-ha... 

Eyes lighting up, William excitedly ran over to the figure sitting in a corner dressed in a dirtied white cloak, and face covered with a veil and a pair of shades. The only skin exposed was caked with dirt and mud. That person is definitely Wyetta, there was no mistaking it! No one else would be screaming, and look like they were at the edge of committing murder while haggling. 

"Hey!" William greeted cheerfully, grinning widely. 

The veiled head whirled around, and Wyetta's cold eyes pierced him with an annoyed look. She pointed at her shades, and went back to yelling. 

"Raise your offer by 9,000 gold coins immediately!" she yelled. "Don't you dare walk away!" 

"I-I'm sorry! But I don't know what's 'go-" 

"You better be! Add 95 gold coins to your purchase! Hey, do you want to die? Come back here!" she yelled, utterly infuriated. 

Ignoring Wyetta's booming screams and threats as she haggled, William pondered on the meaning of Wyetta's pointing. His brilliant blue eyes lit up suddenly with understanding. "Oh, I get it! My eyes are blue!" he exclaimed. 

"Come again!" Wyetta called out sweetly, waving at the leaving customer as she happily tossed his wallet in her hand, and listening to the sweet jingle of coins. 

Turning to William with glowing eyes, she sighed happily. "These people are so easy to terrorize!" she exclaimed, exuberant. "Anyways, I stole my clothes off of the people going in and out of this hole in the city walls. You would probably find shades there too! Bye!" 

"Bye?" 

Nodding, Wyetta's expression grew furious. "There's the Stranger!" she yelled. "Get out, bub!" 

"What?" William exclaimed, betrayed. 

Turning around, he saw soldiers closing in, and with no choice, he ran for his life. Again. 

Tearfully glancing back at his betrayer, he bitterly watched her rope in another customer, and completely ignore him. 

Turning corners, and attempting to scramble over walls, William noticed with despair that he wasn't able to shake off the soldiers. In fact, the phantoms were actually gaining on him. 

Turning another corner, William stopped, gaping at the impossibly grimy wall in front of him. Whirling around, William watched with a sinking heart as the soldiers began to appear, and close the distance. 

Gulping, William unconsciously took several steps back, and bumped into the wall. Back pressed against the wall, William watched with wide eyes as the soldiers continued to draw closer. Was this how it was going to end?