Safest In Your Arms

Chapter 2: Safest In Your Arms 

(Riley's POV) 

One Week Later 

He walked me inside my room and said "Home sweet home right." I looked at him with a blank expression and said "It's not home until Jasmine comes back too." He grabbed my hand and said "She get's discharged tomorrow." I nodded my head and said "I know but does Hayden? Does he get discharged or does he get to stay in a hospital bed because he is in a coma and they don't think they can save him." Caspian looked down at the floor and calmly said "Riley none of this is your fault." I snapped at him "Yes it is, If I wouldn't have ran towards her he never would have had to take a bullet for me. My dad wouldn't be dead and your mom." Before I could finish her cut me off "Do not mention my mother. Everything that happened was out of our control, everything that happened was Jaceyln's fault not yours." I looked at him and blankly said "I just want to be left alone."  Caspian put his hands up in defense and said "Okay." He walked out of the apartment, and I busted into tears. 

I slowly walked over to my bedroom and picked up a photo of Hayden, Jasmine and I. It made no sense how was this my reality. How could this all happen, one moment Caspian and I were kissing and the next it turned into a massacre. Thankfully the bullet hit Jasmine's side and didn't do much damage so she's okay but Hayden is in bad shape, it's just a waiting game for him. He took the bullet for me, so many people have been hurt all because of me. I just laid on my bed crying while looking at the picture of us, when we were all happy. 

(Flashback) 

I laid down next to Hayden and Jasmine on the floor and said "Guys I don't know what I would do without you. Now pass the wine please." Jasmine giggled and said "Here Riley it's your favorite." I clapped my hands in excitement and Hayden sarcastically said "Riles I think you have a drinking problem." I giggled and said "No I have a wine problem, I am a wino!"  Hayden laughed and said "Riley you are nuts, but I don't know what I would do without you either." Jasmine smiled and said "Yeah Riley you do know we would do anything for you, right?" I laughed and said "I know! Hayden always says he will take a bullet for me. I get it guys!" We all just sat there laughing at each other..

--

I snapped out of it and realized how bad the irony was, I mean first he risked his life in the elevators and he always said he would take a bullet for me and he ended up doing just that. I can't live knowing all these people's lives were ruined because of me, what Jaceyln said was the truth. It was all my fault. Jaceyln didn't want to kill me, she wanted to kill everyone I cared about and leave me to wake up with the guilt of it all, and she had done just that.

(Caspian's POV) 

My father looked at me with deep concern and asked "How is she son?" My father looked horrible, he had a full grown beard and bags under his eyes. I hugged him and said "The better question is how are you?" He shook his head and said "The funeral plans for your mom and Riley's dad is hard on me. I lost a close friend, and well your mom was pretty horrible but she didn't deserve this." I nodded my head and said "They both didn't, none of us deserved this. Riley is really messed up, I can feel it. Her heart is broken and she is carrying the weight of that day on her shoulders, she's filled with guilt for what happened to Hayden and everyone else. She just kicked me out and said she just wanted to be alone." My father let out a deep sigh and said "Son the worse thing for her is to be alone right now, in her silence the guilt will eat at her continuously. Listen son Nadia and the twins are here with me, I will be fine why don't you move in with her for awhile." I titled my head and said "But Pops." He interrupted "But pops nothing, go be with her. She needs you, pack a bag and get out of here." 

I hugged my father and said in his ear "Thank You." He nodded his hand and slowly walked back in his room, I ran in my room and threw all my clothes in a suitcase and some small things. Before I left I went into Nadia's room, she was laying down so I laid next to her and said "I am moving out for awhile, Riley is really struggling and I am scared to leave her alone. I hope you understand." She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said "I do understand, I've been at Alex's place this whole week. She's a wreck too and she said Riley wont talk to her." I sighed and said "We just need to give them both time and hopefully they will reconnect." She nodded her head and gave me a huge and I left out of her room, I checked the twins room but they were gone so I just left a note for them telling them where I would be. 

I walked out of the house and headed to Riley's place, I walked up the stairs to her floor with my suitcase and knocked on the door. She answered, her hair was in a messy bun and she had on a robe with a glass of white wine in her hand. She looked away from me and said "What are you doing here Caspian?" I dropped the suitcase and walked through the door, I closed it behind me and said "I know you are hurting and you want to be alone but you aren't even if you think that's what you need. I love you Riley, and that hasn't changed. You are safest in my arms and I am safest in yours, and I know we can get through this but only together. So I am moving in, wither you want me to or not. I am not going anywhere." 

She smiled at me while her eyes were full of water, she looked me in the eyes and said "I love you Caspian, I really do." She hugged me and I held her back, we both lost so much but we were only going to get through this if we remember what we do have. We have each other and that was never going to change...

*The Next Day* 

(Jasmine's POV)

I limped my way into the apartment and said "I never thought I would see this place again." Caspian hugged me and said "But you do, you got to come home again." I smiled so hard my cheeks were touching my eyes, I looked at Caspian and said "Thank you." He looked at me confused and asked "For what?" I put my hand on his shoulder and said "Thank you for surviving and for taking care of this one while I was at the hospital." He smiled and said "Thank you for surviving, she needs you. She needs all of us." 

I limped over to Riley who was sitting on the couch zoned out, I sat next to her and said "Talk to me Riles, what's going on in your head right now." Riley snapped out of it and mumbled "I can't Jaz, I just can't. I have to go." Riley jumped up grabbed her jacket and walked out, I yelled out after her "Where are you going?" She ignored me and continued to walk out of the door in a hurry.  Caspian sunk down in the couch with me and I said "Can you do me a favor Caspian?" He nodded his head and I said "I need you to take me to your father's house, I have to tell him something." He looked at me with suspicion and said "Oh ok?" I smiled and said "Thank you, let me change out of these hospital clothes then we can go." 

I changed into tight jeans, and a long sleeve sweater, I left my hair up in a messy bun and I didn't have the energy to put any make up on other than foundation. Caspian opened the door for me and helped me in the car, I looked at him and said "Thank You." He got inside the car and he asked "So why are we going to see my father?" I bit my cheek trying really answer his question and said "I want to help him with the funeral plans for Riley's dad." He looked at me like he wasn't buying it and said "But you just got out of the hospital." I looked out of the window and blankly said "That should not fall all on his shoulders, you can just wait in the car and I'll ask and see if he needs help. I am fine, I've been locked up in the stuffy hospital room I need to get out anyways." 

We got to his house and I said "I'll be back in a second." He nodded his hands and helped me on my crunches. I had to use them if I would be walking or standing a lot for support, I limped over to the front door with my crutches and rang the doorbell. He answered the door and surprisingly said "Jasmine? Uh come in, come in." I limped my way in the door laughing at myself and how pathetic I probably looked, He helped me sit down and put my crutches on the floor. He sat down across from me and asked "So what are you doing here?" I looked at him blankly and firmly said "The fake reason, I am here to see if you need any help for the funeral. The real reason I wanted to know why you never came to the hospital or even called to see if I was okay?" 

He bit down on his bottom lip and responded "Jasmine, I was in shock. I lost my wife and my friend." I cut in and said "I was shot too, what did that not matter to you?" He reached out for my hand but I pulled away and he said "No it did, I was worried for you that's why I had the twins stop by and let me know about your progress." I sighed and said "I don't want to play games, and if I am misreading the fact that we have gotten closer the past month then tell me. I was shot and I am effected by what happened to, so that's no excuse on not to check on me as a friend. Look it doesn't matter I have to go, I just wanted to be a good friend and check in on you." I grabbed my crutches and walked out of his house not looking back.