Every time You Go

Chapter 18: Every time You Go

6pm 

(Riley's POV) 

"Uh Riley get your butt out here now." Jasmine yelled out, I sighed and reluctantly walked into the living room and saw Caspian on the TV. I looked at the TV and asked "What is this?" Jasmine turned the TV up and said " A press release." I sat down on the couch and listened to Caspian speak, "Hello I am Caspian Accardo, the eldest son of Allen Accardo. Two years ago I left New York to start a new life out here in California, I needed a break from the life I had lived for so many years but now that break is over. I have realized that this isn't the life I want, and having this breather just cleared things up for me and my life. So let's get to the reason you all are here, I will be taking over my father's company intercorp enterprises. This process will happen overtime and will be a slow and smooth transition, but there will be change. We want to go back to where we started, we want to bring back our family roots and that's exactly what I am going to do. My girlfriend Jaceyln and I are moving back to New York not only to take over my father's company but to start our own family with our first child." The crowd went crazy and the paparazzi took pictures of the couple and Caspian waited for the crowd to settle down before he continued "This change will be hard for my girlfriend and I, especially since she is pregnant so we will be transitioning slowly at the pace appropriate for both of us. We want to thank everyone who supports us and my father's company, change is on it's way and I will be the one to give it to you guys. Thank you and have a good evening." The crowd cheered for Caspian and watched him exit with Jaceyln right by his side. I turned the TV off and screamed "Ugh!!!" Jasmine grabbed my hand and calmly said "I know babe I know." I stood up from my seat and ranted "He looked like a robot Jasmine, since when does Caspian walk around in an expensive suit and tie? And Jaceyln just got a magic proper makeover, she went from bar slut to presidential in like what a couple of hours? This is everything Caspian asked me to protect him from two years ago and now everything is out of my control, he basically turned off his feelings for me." Jasmine grabbed a bottle of wine and said "He still loves you babe, he is just doing what is right for his baby and you have to understand that." I slumped down in the couch and whined "I know, and that's why I can't bring myself to hate him no matter how hard I try. It kills me Jasmine, it kills me inside." Jasmine hugged me and said "I have a plan, Caspian doesn't want to see you because it will hurt but what if he doesn't have to see you but he can hear you." I looked at her confused and sarcastically said "Thats what we call cellphones." She hit my shoulder and said "No I mean more intimate." I titled my head and said "Just trust me I will be back." 

Minutes later

*Knock Knock* 

I walked towards the door and heard a voice "Don't answer the door but come close to it." I walked to the door and put my ear to it and asked "Caspian?" He respond "Jasmine did this, she said we both needed to hear each other for one last time." I smiled but said "How many times do we have to say goodbye Caspian." He put his hand to the door and said "However many times it takes until we mean it." I put my hand in the same spot as his and said "I will never mean it." He laughed and said "Neither will I." He pressed his face against the door and said "Play a game with me, tell me what our future would have been like if we didn't have things in between us." I laughed and said "Okay, for starters we would get a nice cozy home, to call our own. It wouldn't be too big but big enough, it would always smell like cinnamon apple because its our favorite scent. I would work as an executive at my job instead of a slave assistant, and you would teach an Art class to underprivileged kids and at night you would go out doing paint shows. We would have nights where we fight and want to end it but we would always find our way back to each other, because life doesn't make sense without each other. We would be each others home, no matter where we were as long as we were together. We would have two kids Leo and Layla, they would be two years apart and closer than ever because we taught them family as important. We would watch them grow up into the adults we taught them to be, watch them start families and watch each other grow old and ugly but still be in love more than ever. We would have a life filled with love and contentment, but only because we were together and that meant more than any struggle that was thrown at us." I could hear him sniffling on the other side of the door, his voice cracked and he said "Riley hearing that, it gives me hope that one day we might find our way back to each other." I smiled and sighed at the thought of false hope so I had to do something he deserved no matter how much I didn't want to. I wiped the tears that were starting to fall and said "Caspian, you released me and I was to selfish to do the same for you this morning, but now I understand. You are going to have a family with Jaceyln and your baby and I need you to be happy with that, so I release you. I release you Caspian to openly and freely love your new family." I grabbed my chest because it felt like my heart was being ripped out after I said that, I fell to my knees and I could hear him fall to his knees too. He tried to breathe but he couldn't, I knew because I felt the same loss of breath. I tried to talk but I couldn't, so he gasped for air and said "I will never stop loving you Riley Williams , never." I broke the one rule, opening the door. I opened the door and revealed myself to nothing. He was gone, he must have heard me open the door and he left. I grabbed my mouth to cover the sound of my crying. I pushed up against the door way and suddenly heard another door open. I turned to see Caspian standing by the doorway, I couldn't stop crying. I grabbed him and hugged him so tight, I buried my head in his chest and said "I don't want to let you go." 

He hugged me tighter and said "I know Riley, I don't want to either but we have to." I kissed his cheek and said "I know, i'm going to miss you like crazy."  He smiled and said "I am going to miss you too, but Riley you can have that fantasy life with someone else." I faked a smile and said "And you can learn to love Jaceyln and your baby." He did the same, He looked down at his feet and said "So this is it, were saying goodbye and we actually mean it." I looked away from him and replied "Yes we mean it." He hugged me one last time and said "Have an amazing life Riley." I smiled at him and said "You too Caspian, be the man you want to be not who everyone else wants you to be."  Caspian walked away and into his packed apartment, he looked back at me one time before we both shut our doors and we both knew this was the last time we would see each other. So we slowly shut the door not loosing eye contact for one second. 

I was lying, how can you say goodbye to someone you have known your whole life? You can't, you can't just let go, there isn't some fairy godmother who can sprinkle magic dust and make everything work out. Caspian was my prince charming and I had to watch him walk away to a happy ending with a different princess.