ch.56 Back for good

“Harold?” she half-asked, half-stated.

Gemma watched Harry and a slow teasing grin etched across her face, curling up the corners of her red lips. She looked at Harry’s black boots, up to his leather jacket, then glanced at his mess of curls before resting on his eyes.  

From the way she looked at him, it seemed like everything about Harry must have looked very different to her, but Harry’s eyes convinced her he was her brother.

“Yeah?” Harry grumbled in annoyance.

I squeezed Harry’s hand, urging him to greet Gemma in a slightly friendlier manner. After all, he hasn’t seen her since their dad died…

Gemma laughed, completely amused by Harry’s rudeness.

Harry shifted tensely in his spot.

“You used to be a cupcake, Hazzy” Gemma teased and she reached close to Harry and squeezed his cheek and ruffled his curls.

Harry brushed her off.

“Now you’re a little stud muffin” she laughed.

“What have you been feeding him, Danny?” Gemma teased Danny.

Danny blinked. He had been staring at Gemma’s lips, but heard absolutely nothing she had said.

“Ah, um, I don’t know” Danny cleared his throat and scratched his head nervously.

Gemma patted his chest casually.

Danny’s chest tightened.

Gemma didn’t seem to notice or if she did, she didn’t care. It seemed like she was used to having an affect on men, like Becky, but there was a classiness to her. There was something very dignified and strong about her forward personality. And it sort of intimidated me, especially knowing she was going to be my sister-in-law.

Suddenly, Gemma turned her attention to me and smiled warmly, like someone waiting to be introduced to a stranger.

She looked me up and down and I stood slightly closer to Harry, wishing I could hide behind him and avoid the scrutiny of her eyes. What if she didn’t approve of me? Danny may have said “yes,” but something told me that Gemma’s say topped everyone’s in this room, possibly including Harry’s demands.

Then she blinked in recognition.

“Oh my God” she gasped and stared into my eyes and up and down my body. Her already round blue-green eyes bulged and her mouth hung open slightly.

“Angie?!” she asked.  

I glanced at Harry as if he could tell me who I was again.

Harry nodded reassuringly.

“Y-yes” I mumbled.

“Baby Angela, with the little golden curls?!” she almost shouted. I felt everyone’s eyes on me, watching and waiting for me to answer.

I nodded.

She laughed and shook her head, as if trying to convince herself that she was 17 again and Harry was just a gangly preteen and I was a little kid and nothing had changed.

We all just stood there, waiting on her every word. But Harry seemed about ready to push her out and lock the door.

Suddenly, she stopped laughing and took a steady step closer to me.

She tugged at my arm and I glanced at Harry, wishing he could tighten his grip around my waist and prevent Gemma from further scrutinizing me. But the one time I wanted him to hold me tighter, Harry let go slightly, enough for Gemma to take my hand and pull me closer to her.