ch.9 The 21st Row

I pushed at his chest until he gave me a sliver of space to move past him.

Surprise and anger began boiling dangerously hot within me as I tried to wrap my head around what Harry had just stupidly done.

I pressed my hand to my stomach for a moment and shook my head.

Harry took my wrist.

“Angie, baby, are you ok?” he asked me softly and he took my face in his hands.

“Baby?” I repeated harshly and lowered his hands.

Harry’s dark brows furrowed in slight surprise.

“Yes,” he nodded.

“You wanted to give me babies from-from that,” I asked pretentiously.

“Well, if there’s another way, let me know,” he replied slightly sarcastically, laughing at his joke.

I scolded him.

“Angie, what’s wrong?” he asked with concern.

He reached a hand out to take my face and make me look at him. I brushed his hand away.

“Are you crazy?!” I shouted.

Now he was extremely confused.

“Harry we can’t have kids now!” I yelled.

I can’t believe he was so smug about what he had just risked.

“But I thought you just said--” he reasoned slightly quietly.

“HARRY! I am about to get my diploma! Not a sack of diapers!” I shouted with an uncontrollable rage and annoyance. I can’t believe he just risked that. He just risked everything. Everything!

I was starting to think that maniac golden key of his had a mind of its own…

Harry watched me quietly.

“I’m sorry?” he apologized in confusion.

I just stood there and stared at him. My eyes must have been bulging out of my face because he looked slightly terrified.

He ruffled his hands through his dark curls anxiously.

“Angie, I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking,” he admitted slowly. 

“You weren’t thinking??” I repeated.

“And what am I going to tell Danny if anything really happens?!” I asked him angrily still.

Harry looked down at the ground shamefully and apologetically.

This was no game; this was the definition of serious. I mean what if I really got pregnant? Danny already thought I was a kid. I can’t have my own kid now!

“I’m sorry, Angie,” he apologized again. But sorry wasn’t enough.

I walked past him and found a bathroom.

“Where are you going?” he asked quietly.

“Taking a shower,” I spoke through gritted teeth.

I rummaged around the hotel around and found the shower. I locked the bathroom door quickly, before Harry could protest.

“Angie,” he pleaded behind the door.

“Shut up,” I spat angrily. I hated yelling at him, but this was the stupidest thing he’s ever done.

I took off my dress and turned on the water.

“Do you need help?” he asked and I could hear him grinning.

“No!” I shouted over the water.

“Baby, come on. I’m sorry,” he spoke quietly.

I could hear him tapping his knuckles against the door slowly.

I took a quick shower, trying not to get my hair wet.

“A shower’s not gonna do anything,” he told me and I could almost see those forest green marbles winking at me.

“Shut up.”

“Angie,” Harry called softly when he heard the shower turn off.

I ignored him and put my dress back on.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized again.

I opened the door and started to walk past him.

“I’m late,” I muttered through clenched teeth.

Harry took my wrist, but I pulled away.

Then he came up close to me neck and whispered in a deep rasp that sent an uncontrollable shiver down my spine.

“I’ll be in the 21st row,” he told me.

I looked up into his eyes for a moment. He wasn't grinning or sad or scolding me in anyway. He was just watching my face, the way he used to before we got together. I looked down self-consciously; it felt like he could read my mind and track every single flaw with one scan of his eyes.

Then I turned and walked off to join Becky and Liam in line.

I felt those marbles watching me as I walked away. But I didn't dare turn around- for fear of running back into Harry's arms and apologizing for yelling, even though I had very good reason to yell.

I had to stand with the rest of the "L" last names, so I was close to Liam and Becky was with the "M's." 

Liam looked at me a moment, then he turned his attention to Cowell, who was flailing his arms around as he tried to quiet us down and order the lines.

"What happened?" Becky asked quietly, but loud enough for only me to hear.

"Stand still!" Cowell shouted at the line of anxious kids. 

"You guys locked the door" she winked.

I avoided her eyes. 

"Stupid," I mumbled under my breath.

"Angie," she insisted, but Cowell came to us personally and asked us to more or less shut up.

Cowell turned to stand by the double doors and I felt my heart leap into my chest.

21st row....

Cowell took a deep breath, then he opened the doors and turned to the crowd. We all began walking in our rows of two. Liam was paired next to me and he kept smiliing shyly.

I smiled back at him and nodded "you'll be ok."

He nodded back slowly. I looked out at the sea of eager parents, grandparents and teachers.

Camera lights flashed. Tears ran down wrinkly cheeks. Squeals and cheers sounded left and right.

I clasped my hands together, slightly afraid of the anxious crowd. They looked ready to grab us and tear us from limb to limb- in their contagious excitement.

I gulped hard. Someone took my hand. I turned to see Liam. 

"You'll be ok," he whispered reassuringly.

I nodded.

Then we all sat down and Liam amde his way to the stage. I still hadn't found Harry, let alone Danny, Niall, Zayn. or Tony. But I was sure their voices were mixed into the crowd.