ch.2 I need

Harry and I turned to see Danny standing by the front door. He was grasping the door knob very tightly and forced his gaze down at the pavement.

“Oh, hey Danny” Harry greeted cautiously. He picked up his shirt from the bush and slung it over his shoulder.

“It was raining” I mumbled as I felt the need to explain Harry’s lack of shirt.

“I noticed” Danny stated blandly. But it was when he showed no emotion in his voice- that scared me.

Danny knows he can’t do anything about me and Harry being together, but that doesn’t mean he’s become any more comfortable than the day after the court sentence.

He still looks as though he would kill Harry if he had the chance, but at the same time, he knows he would never be able to; Harry still is his best friend.

“Come inside” Danny told us both.  Me and Harry always seemed to be on the outside of things.

He stepped to the side as he let me and Harry walk in like school children narrowly escaping punishment for naughty behavior.

I sighed in disappointment and annoyance. I don’t understand why Danny’s face turns all blue and black when he sees me and Harry showing any sort of PDA. It’s like he can’t stand to see me happy with someone and yet it’s even worse because the person I’m happy with is his best friend.

But, I guess it’s ok in one sense. Since me and Harry have to keep the little hand-holding and kissing to a minimum, it makes alone time that much more gratifying.

I took Harry’s hand and led him up to my room.

“Gotta spare shirt in the dryer” Danny told Harry, a.k.a warned him not to try anything.

The only thing I was going to try right now with Harry was to try to understand why he didn’t want to come to my graduation.

Harry nodded carefully at Danny.

Danny cleared his throat and slowly trudged into the kitchen room.

Harry put on Danny’s shirt and sat on my bed.

I sat down next to him.

I heard Danny’s heavy footsteps down the hall.

“Harry” I began slowly. I took one of his hands and traced the lines on his palm, wishing I could read his thoughts and future.

“Did you forget about my graduation or just have other plans or-” I started to trail off.

I wasn’t sure how to phrase myself without sounding desperate or selfish. I just wanted to know why he wasn’t going to come. Did he not want to come?

Harry sighed and avoided my eyes for a moment.

“No, I didn’t forget, I just have to work late on- um that day and I wasn’t sure how to tell you” he explained slowly. But there was an unnecessary tension in his hands. Literally.

“Work late? Can’t they give your shift to someone else? I mean, maybe if you tell them now, they can work something out” I spoke quietly.    

Harry shook his head slowly and a dark and still semi-moist curl felt over his eye.

I moved the loose curl.

“I don’t think they can do that. It’s sorta late now…” he explained cautiously.

“…But you I gave you the invitation like a month ago” I added quietly.

I didn’t want to make him feel bad, let alone blame him, but something just wasn’t adding up. Harry was usually going out of his way to make sure we had more time together. He convinced me to skip class a few times and he’s ditched work a number of times, as well…