ch.26 Said it all

I sat there staring out the window as Liam droned on and on about Connecticut and how we were gonna leave together in two weeks and how he would have his dad talk with the DA to get us a dorm together…

Then he reached for my hand and brought it up to his lips.

I drew my hand back the moment he let go.

He sighed in annoyance.

“Angela, it’ll be the best four years of our lives” he told me. There was an eager dark glow in his eyes, waiting for the moment he completely ripped me from my real home.

I swallowed hard as I remembered when Fitzgerald told me about my scholarship and how I couldn’t see myself leaving Westwood, not without Harry at least. Harry was one of the many reasons I wanted to stay and now he was gone, so what was holding me back?

Liam watched my face, waiting for some sort of positive reaction.

I smiled plainly.

He took that as an improvement.

Then there was a long moment of silence.

“Did you talk to Becky?” I spoke up. He hadn’t mentioned anything about her; he was still gloating about Harry leaving.

“What?” he asked in slight surprise that I had finally spoken up.

“Becky” I repeated. “Your girlfriend?” I reminded him.

He shook his head quickly.

“Ex-girlfriend” he corrected me.  “I broke up with her before I came here” he told me.

I nodded painfully.  I had talked to Becky this morning and she had admitted to me her love for Liam, but now he had broken up with her without blinking. I couldn’t even begin to imagine who depressed she must feel right now and what she would do when she found out Liam was taking me out now.

I shook my head in complete disappointment and frustration at myself. Then I tried to focus my attention outside and saw the sleek, blue-black buildings and shops of Eastland turn into a boardwalk.

This is where he took me on our first date.

“I don’t think we finished our first date properly” he told me with a softer smile.

I nodded.

Then we got the car and Liam took my hand.  He pulled me close to him as we walked to the restaurant.

The man at the front desk smiled when Liam told him his name.

“Right this way Mr. Payne” he greeted warmly and led us to the best seat in the house.

It overlooked the pier.

I watched the water as it gently swayed to a steady rhythm. I out my hand over my chest and barely felt my heartbeat. It was like it wasn’t even there, like Harry had taken it when he left.

Liam reached for my hand and lowered it from my chest.

“I wanted to take you down to the pier last time, but you weren’t feeling well” he explained.

I nodded slowly.

“You were speechless the last time we came here, but this would be a lot more fun if you actually said something” he told me with slight annoyance.

“What do you want me to say? Thank you for making Harry leave?” I retorted coldly.

He tightened his grip around my hand.

“I didn’t do anything. You said it all yourself” he replied casually.

I glared at him. Then I looked down at my lap.

He was right. I had done everything from let Liam sneak his way into my heart to selling Harry’s honest heart.

Liam smiled slightly when he saw that I knew the blame was all in my hands.

“Angie, don’t feel bad about it” he told me.

“You guys wouldn’t have worked out anyway” he shook his head nonchalantly.

I pulled my hand from his, but he tugged harder.

“And how do you know that?” I raised my voice. How did he know anything? How come he could get exactly what he wanted?

“Do I look like I’m enjoying myself right now?” I asked him rhetorically,

“You would be if you just stop fighting how you really feel” he replied with a harsh glare. And he leaned closer to me, so close that I could see the thin black lines in his irises. I don’t know what I had seen before, but there certainly wasn’t any gold in those eyes now.

“Angela, I’m the good guy” he told me quietly. “And the good guy always gets the girl” he declared. He looked down at my lips and leaned his head closer to mine.

“Can I take your order?” a woman with hoarse voice asked.

Liam cleared his throat in annoyance.

“Yes” he replied tersely.

I sighed in relief.

The woman glanced from me to Liam. I knew she could sense something was up, but didn’t prod much.

“What would you like, Angela?” Liam asked me kindly.

The woman sniffled her nose and turned to face me. 

“Salad” I said plainly.

“Don’t you want something more filling?” he asked slightly angrily. “You’ll need your energy” he added with a slight smirk.

“No” I replied curtly.

Liam glared at me.

Then he ordered his meal and the woman left.

“I’m going home at 11” I reminded him.

“I know” he said, but he was still smiling.

I wanted to slap that smirk off his face, but there were too many witnesses.

Then we were quiet for a while.

Suddenly, he got up and came over t my side of the booth. He sat down next to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“If you don’t talk, then we can do other things” he told me with a wink. Where did the old Liam go? He was becoming more and more like-like Louis with every passing moment.

He didn’t wait for my reply and pressed his lips to mine quickly.

I pushed at his chest, but that only angered him and he pressed me against the wall with the force of his body.

He held my face in his now very forceful hands and tugged my tongue along to play with his.

I bit his lower lip to get him to stop, but that only excited him more and he chuckled lightly.

“Stop” I raised my voice when he took a second for air.

“STOP!” I shouted and I shoved at his chest, but he only moved back an inch.