ch.15 Another Knight

I nodded slowly, feeling that knot twist in my stomach again.

“Yeah. The part about the sunset and not wanting to blink- that was really beautiful” I added.

Then he sighed and shook his head disappointedly at the ground.

“You know, Angie, I wrote that speech with someone in mind” he told me.

I nodded, but made no show of my reaction because I didn’t want to jump to any conclusions.

Liam looked even more disappointed, which confused me ten fold.

Why was he telling me all this? He should be with Becky, letting her know all this since he wrote the speech about her.

But maybe he just wanted to know my opinion since I had tried to comfort him before he gave the speech.

“What did Becky think of it?” I asked him.

“Becky?”  

“Yeah, Becky. I mean you wrote it for her, so-”

“No” he shook his head. “I didn’t write it for her” he admitted, but he was more disappointed than angry or nervous about confessing this.

I searched his eyes for a more logical reasoning, but those brown pools were clouded with hopes for some faraway gold.

“You didn’t?” I asked quietly.

My chest tightened, warning and telling me how right it was about what it had picked up initially and how wrong I was for doubting it.

“I wrote it for you, Angela” he told me quite confidently.

I swallowed hard.

“What?” I asked for clarification, but I didn’t want him to repeat it again.

“Angela, I was looking at you the entire time” he stated quite obviously.

I looked away briefly.

“Yes, but that’s because you needed moral support” I tried to reason, but he shook his head.

“Angela, you told me to look at the only person I wanted to see” he reminded me.

“Yes, but I meant Becky” I explained.

“Well I meant you” he declared.

He held my gaze much like Harry could and I was afraid to look away.

“Angela, I still love you” he admitted.

I searched those brown eyes for a reason, an explanation, a blink. But he did neither. Not after what he said about blinking making you miss the most golden moments.

Then I started to shake my head, like that would make the horribly confusing moment disappear and never come back again. But it didn’t.

“Still?” I almost stuttered. “What do you mean “still’?” I asked him. He’s never told me he l-loved me before. I would have definitely remembered or died of some kind of lung or cardiac arrest.

Liam’s brown brows furrowed in a mix of anger and disappointment.

“Angela, I’ve been in love with you since we were kids” he told me.

I shook my head, like he was recited a bad omen and if I didn’t hear, I wouldn’t have to believe it.

“Look, I know you’re with Harry and I’m with Becky, but we don’t belong with them. We belong together” he smiled triumphantly. He reached for my hand and took it in his.