ch.6 I will

I slipped on the dress Becky had chosen and Liam had technically bought. It fit pretty smoothly and was quite comfortable- for a dress.

Becky held the curling iron and wrapped locks of my hair around it.

“Hold still” she reminded me.

I sighed.

“How much longer? We’re gonna be late” I nagged quietly.

Becky gave me one of her looks.

“Relax, just two more seconds” she told me.

I sighed again and fidgeted with a bracelet on my wrist.

I tried not to think about those green-grey marbles. Those dimples. Those dark curls.

Harry wasn’t here. And he wasn’t going to come, so I don’t know why I thought thinking about him would magically make him appear.

“Maybe he’ll come later” Becky spoke quietly.

I looked down into my lap and shook my head slightly, making sure not to ruin the waves she had so carefully been crafting.

Becky let the subject drop and continued to work.

Another minute passed and I just kept looking into my hands, intertwining them the way I would with Harry’s sturdy, beautiful hands.

“Ok. All done!” Becky almost squealed and woke me up from my insanely desperate reverie.

I stood up quickly. Too quickly.

Then I turned and looked at my reflection.

I tilted my head slightly to the side and squinted, trying to decide whether I liked the dress better on the rack or if it did really looked good on me.

“Wow, Angela, you look… amazing” a deeper voice commented.

I turned around quickly as my heart leaped into my throat.

But it wasn’t him.

Liam stood by the door quietly.

“Oh, I didn’t mean to interrupt” he mumbled slightly as he realized that neither me nor Becky had heard him by the door.

“She does, doesn’t she?” Becky whispered loudly to Liam, as if I couldn’t hear them.

I looked at her and she winked.

“And you look great, too, Becky” Liam added with his shy smile.

Becky moved a stray lock of her from her shoulder.

“I know” she laughed.  “And that’s the dress that you bought for her” Becky added.

Liam looked down at my dress again, carefully like he was trying to determine how much he liked his own gift.

“Thanks for the dress” I smiled.

Liam glanced at the floor and stuck his hands in his pockets slightly uneasily.

“I’m glad I was able to give you something you wanted” he told me quietly. He sounded like he meant something more, but my heart was still beating rapidly out of my chest, making it hard to hear anything but a “lub-dub.”

Becky intertwined her fingers with his and leaned her head against Liam’s shoulder.

Liam wrapped his arm around Becky, holding her gently to him. They looked so good together. They looked at ease- well, Becky was always at ease. And Liam never was, so they evened each other out.