Chapter 40

Chapter 40

You're gonna hate me.

***Ashton's POV***

I looked out of the window of the truck, but didn't see much. Lily had to pull over because the rain made it too difficult to see the road.

"I think I broke her heart all over again." Lily said quietly. "I'm a terrible daughter."

"You didn't do anything wrong. You just told her what happened, and I'm so proud of you for that. It must've been so hard."

"It was, and I feel terrible. I made my mother cry, and I got my brother in trouble at the same time. I'm sorry you had to see all of that."

"Stop apologizing. It's fine."

"No it's not! Ever since we met, I've done nothing but drag you into my terrible life, and you act like everything's okay."

"Everything is okay. I told you-"

"Did you see my snapchat story yesterday?" She cut me off.

"Yeah?"

"Then why the hell aren't you yelling at me? I was with Kyle without your permission and you aren't yelling! Why aren't you yelling?" 

"Why are you yelling about me not yelling? Did anything happen between you two?"

"No."

"Okay, then why should I yell?"

She was quiet for a moment.

"I don't know, but it doesn't seem right for you to not be mad."

"Lily, I trust you. I'm not ecstatic that you and Kyle are so close, but I know that you wouldn't do anything to hurt me."

"But-"

"But nothing. I'm in this relationship for you. I don't care about anything else."

She sighed heavily and leaned back in her seat.

"I want to talk about earlier." I said hesitantly.

"Ashton-"

"Lily, I'm not asking for a lot. I just want to know what happened."

"On January seventh, I was with Alex at his apartment. His roommate walked into the living room and told us that he was leaving. I asked where he was going." She laughed dryly. "That was my first mistake."

I stayed quiet as she continued her story.

"He said he was going on a date with a girl that he met at work, so I told him to have fun and refrain from kissing her. He made a joke about how Alex and I didn't hold back on our first date, but I told him the truth. Alex and I barely even held hands."

She looked out of the window.

"After David left, Alex started yelling at me. He said that I had no right to tell people our personal business. I got up and started leaving but he grabbed my arm. I told him that he was acting crazy, and he yelled 'Fuck you!' while he pushed me. He was yelling and squeezing my arms so hard that he left bruises."

She sighed and looked at me again.

"When Jake pushed me today, my mind took me back to Alex's apartment." A tear ran down her cheek. "That was the first time that Alex hurt me."

"I'm so sorry baby." I grabbed her hand and kissed it.

"That same night, he apologized and took me out to dinner. Things were awkward and I just wanted to talk about what happened. After we ate, he accused me of flirting with the waiter. I told him that he didn't need to be jealous and he fucking hit me."