Chapter 31

Chapter 31

IMPORTANT: The court scene is kind of boring, but it has some significance to how Liliana feels about everything. I put it in there for anyone that wants to read it. If not, skip to Ashton's POV. ((I'll make this chapter extra long so the people who skipped will have more to read))

***Liliana's POV***

"Please state your full name for the court."

"Alexander Andrews."

"Can you tell me what your relationship with my client is?" The lawyer that Ashton hired for me asked.

"She's my ex girlfriend."

I hadn't seen Alex since the day I broke up with him. He looked rough. There were dark circles under his eyes and he looked sick.

"How long did the relationship last?"

"Around seven months."

My lawyer paced before looking back at him.

"Anytime during the relationship did you become violent with Ms. Brooks?"

Alex looked at me. I tried to look away but I couldn't. His eyes were burning into my soul.

"No." He said flatly.

I thought that he already confessed to everything. Why was he lying?

I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath. I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

"I see, so what happened the last time you were in contact with Ms. Brooks?"

"I went to her office and we broke up."

"When was this?"

"On May twenty ninth."

"What a coincidence that you saw her on the same day that she was admitted into the hospital for severe injuries." The lawyer walked in front of the judge. "Your honor I have video evidence that I would like to present to the jury."

The judge nodded.

I spaced out as my lawyer presented my case. I looked at the man that I once loved. I wasn't sure how any of this happened.

One minute I had just moved to California with my best friend, and the next I was in court about to testify against my ex boyfriend.

"Ms. Brooks." The judge's voice ran through my ears. I looked up to see that people were looking at me. "Are you ready to be questioned?"

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"Please approach the stand."

I walked to the small box that was connected to the judges large desk. I sat in the uncomfortable chair before I was sworn in.

I heard my heartbeat in my ears as I repeated the words that the bailiff said, my hand on the holy bible. Alex touched that same bible just minutes before. Alex lied when he was under oath. That was something that I didn't plan on doing.

Alex's lawyer walked to the stand in front of me. Far away he looked harmless, but up close I could see the frown lines on his face and a harshness in his eye.

"Ms. Brooks can you confirm that you were in fact in a romantic relationship with my client?"

"Yes."

"Will you describe it for me?"

"I- I'm not sure what you mean." I stuttered.

"Were you happy during your time with Alexander?"