I nodded. The bell rang and I walked back to my seat. I collected my book and my backpack, not before quickly glancing at Drew. He was closing up his notebook.

“Thank you,” I said quietly before exiting the room. I wasn’t sure if he had heard me but, hey, it’s the thought that counts, right? And as I walked down the hall to French, I couldn’t help but notice Steven. He was walking right for me. Normally, he’d avoid me.

“Hey babe,” he smiled and kissed my lips, “How are you?”

“Topaz was in the girl’s bathroom...”

His face turned to stone, “Did she hurt you? Did she touch you?”

“Yeah, no, I’m fine.”

“Good,” he smiled triumphantly. His hands pushed me up against a locker while he whispered in my ear, “By the way, Drew is staring right at us. Come on, let’s give him a little show.”

I nodded but I was a little unsure about it, pulling his face right to my lips. He nearly fell over from shock. He regained his cool and slowly moved his hand up my leg, playing with the bottom of my short shorts.

The warning bell sounded.

 “Catch you later babe. How about you come over today?”

I shook my head, “I have a lot of homework.”

“Library for study hall?”

“Fine,” I laughed, “See you then.”

I wiggled out of his arms. If he were my real boyfriend, I’d be the happiest girl in the world. Well, second happiest, next to the girl that Drew was dating. I just realized something at that moment - Drew had been single for a few months. Maybe he didn't like dating?

I slipped into French class, sitting at the back of the room. It was the easiest class because I already knew more French than my teacher (I spent almost every summer in France) and she always put me right to sleep. So I put my books in a neat pile and closed my heavy eye lids.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The next three classes came and went. It was already 6th, which was my lunch period, and then I would have 7th, which was study hall.

“Damn,” Xander frowned, “Are you and Steven really dating?”

“Yes, why?”

He shrugged, “I didn’t know he was your type.”

I shrugged back, picking up a curly fry on my styrofoam tray and throwing it at him. He laughed, breaking the awkward tension that had formed between us.

“So did you catch what the Music Theory homework was?”

“Uhm,” I thought back to 4th period. Honestly, I didn’t even remember going to class. Maybe I fell asleep, “I don’t remember?”

“Oh.”

Brie dumped her bag on the table, “Guess what!”

“What?” I said in a rather unexcited tone.

“Will wanted to hang out today during study hall. He asked me if I wanted to go to that cafe down the street from here!”

“Are you?”

“Yeah!”

“He doesn't really seem like your type, Brie. I mean, he's kind of... a druggie, isn't he?” Actually, I didn't even remember that hanging out with Will was setup by Topaz at that moment. I was just honestly happy for her. And I was not about to go crushing her dreams for no reason.