The Fade

“You’re pretty,” Brie smiled, “Now you big dumb dumb, lay back down.”

“I didn’t know the Acevedo’s were your neighbors.”

She shrugged, “They’re never home.”

“Oh.”

“Why, what’s with the sudden interest? Then again, Drew acts like he owns you! You should have seen his face when Mr. Wilson ran out there. He looked so sad. Like it was his fault that you had passed out or something. He said he knocked you out but I saw him. He was playing with your hair, holding you, just waiting. It was kind of cute,” she gushed.

“Brie, seriously, I don’t like him.”

“Why not? He’s always so nice to you!”

“BRIE, HE IS A BULLY!”

“He’s a... what?” she put down the tea cup she was holding on the nightstand, “A bully?”

“Yes,” I felt a tear escape my eye, “He’s been making my life a living hell ever since I was a freshman! He beats me up! He’s stolen three of my cell phones, two iPods, eight packs of gum, two hundred dollars, and even my grandmother’s ring!”

“I-I-I,” she stuttered, “I didn’t know, Rayne. I’m so sorry.”

“I didn’t want to tell you because I... Will does it too. He’s...” I sobbed, “He’s part of it.”

“That ass hole.”

“He’s dating Topaz.”

She rolled her eyes, “She’s a bitch, no offense, but what cabbage truck did she fall off of?”

“The same one I did.”

She shrugged, “I beg to differ. Because if you did, you'd be just as much of a bitch as she was. Which you aren't. Anyways, the Acevedos are coming over in thirty minutes or so.”

“Why?” my voice jumped up an octave from where it was before.

“Because my mom invited them over. She figured out you were here also, she said you could either leave and she would call your parents or stay here for dinner and she’d drop you off later.”

Why am I always blackmailed?

“I’ll stay but I have nothing to wear.”

“Just, here,” she handed me a dress, “It should fit you, it was the right size on me last year so...”

I hugged her gently, “Thank you!”

“Go shower you freaking STINKY PERSON! SHEESH ALIENS COULD SMELL YOU AND MOST OF THEM DON’T HAVE NOSES!”

“That’s just Lord Voldemort!”

“Oh right,” she paused, “Hey, wait a minute, he’s n-” I jumped off the bed and raced to her bathroom, slamming and locking the door. My clothes fell off my body and I jumped in.

Ah, nothing could ever beat a nice and hot shower. The way the water moved down my body, warming up every square inch of my skin, and the way it tickled my toes. There was no other feeling like it. It made me feel so much better, almost like I was never bullied by my sister. It acted like an eraser does with a colored pencil, it can get most of the color out but you can always see the faint lines of pencil on your paper.

“Meh,” I said as I slipped out of the shower and into the tight black and red dress. It looked paint splattered in a cool way. There was a sort of netting over it, giving the dress a darker look. I liked it. I slipped on a pair of black flats that were hanging out in the bathroom too. The door flew open.
“We have to do that hair,” Brie giggled, “I have the perfect idea!”