Roommate-MC

HIS POV

And there she goes again. Straight up to her bedroom. (y/n) and I are best friends and have been living together for almost four years. She was always happy and cheerful and talkative. She would have dinner with me every night, and movie night every Friday. But she hadn't been like that for this past month or so. She was in school and I understand that that can get stressful, but she had been in school for two years and not once was she depressed like this. If she needed to do homework or study, she would sit out and do it with me.

She had been coming home and locking herself in her room. I've tried talking to her, but she'd insist that she was fine and just needed to do her homework. Once her door shut, I saw her maybe once more each night when she would come out to use the bathroom. I haven't seen her eat. And its probably because I hardly see her, but I know she stopped because it was noticeable. Her curves have shrunk to straight lines, her collarbone was more defined. Now, I know losing weight isn't a bad thing, but (y/n) looked unhealthy altogether. Her skin was paler than normal, her stance made her look weak and like she was ready to collapse to the floor, and she stopped wearing shorts and skirts, and tank tops. I pondered on that last one for a while, and started to suspect the worst.

I finally decided it was time to really talk about the situation. And I wasn't going to drop it until I got an answer.

I walked up the stairs and knocked lightly on her door. When I got no answer, I turned the knob. To my surprise, the door was unlocked. I stepped in and found her laying on her bed, staring at the wall. Her left arm was hidden under her pillow. She had changed out of her jeans and sweater and into pajama shorts and a tank top.

I sat down next to her, leaning back and resting my head on the pillow. She didn't move.

"(y/n)," I said, "We need to talk about all this."

"About what," she said, her voice a whisper.

"You. You've been acting weird for over a month now. And don't think I haven't noticed. Its not exactly hard to miss. You've changed completely."

"You're insane," she said. She still hadn't moved.

"Will you please sit up and talk to me."

"No."

"Why not."

"Because I am comfortable like this."

"What are you hiding from me, (y/n)?"

"I'm not hiding anything," she said blankly.

"Then sit up, please." She groaned but sat up and laid back with me. She was still covering her left arm, and my suspicions grew stronger. My heart dropped when I realized I had been right. In the midst of her movement, I saw a flash of red on the underside of her arm. I gently grabbed her arm. She didn't try to pull away, realizing she had been caught. "(y/n)... Please talk to me. Why?" She shook her head, taking her arm back. "Baby, please tell me what happened."

She sniffled and said, "There's these girls at university... They are perfect. Thin, pretty, talented... I'm nothing compared to them. And they never fail to tell me that.  I never felt good about myself before, and when they started to pick on me, everything exploded out of me. Everything hurt and then they started to get physical..."

"What do you mean 'physical'?" I asked, being overprotective.

"They'll push me against walls, or throw me to the ground."

"(y/n)-"

"I hate myself, Michael. And I know I control how I'm feeling but it's so hard when people are constantly putting me down and making me feel like I am nothing."

"You are not nothing, (y/n). You mean everything to me. And you know that. You're the only person that knows everything about me. I don't know what I would do without you. I love you. And you are perfect the way you are. Don't change yourself because some skanks tell you to. If you change, then I lose my best friend. Look what you've done to yourself. You are unhealthily thin, your skin is pale, and you are weak. Starving yourself will not fix anything. And neither will hurting yourself."

"I just don't understand why people have to be so cruel," she said, tears falling.

I pulled her into me and held her. "Because they don't know how to handle their own insecurities so they target someone else's. Once they see it can't get to you, they will stop." (y/n) nuzzled her nose into my shirt. It hurt knowing she was hurting. She wasn't just my best friend. I was in love with her. But I wasn't going to tell her that yet. I just wanted to make sure she was going to be okay first.

"Thank you, Mikey. Thank you for always being there. I love you."

"I love you too," I said and kissed the top of her head.

"Will you stay with me tonight? I don't want to be alone," she said.

"Of course I will, Princess." The sky had grown dark outside. I looked at the clock and realized it was only nine. Its not too late, but with what (y/n) had been through, its best if she got some sleep. I gently pulled her quilt over us and held her as she fell into a peaceful sleep. "Goodnight, my beautiful," I whispered before drifting off to sleep myself.