Chapter 34

Jessie's POV

"Hey, I know something's wrong and don't even say it isn't," I say as I sit on Dani's bed. She doesn't roll over or look up at me. I know she's dealing with something. I put my hand on her shoulder and I feel her tense up. She puts a pillow over her head and curls up into a ball.

"Dani I'm not leaving until you tell me what's going on," I say. I wait a few minutes and I hear muffled sounds, unable to hear what she's saying because of the pillow over her head. "I can't hear you," I tell her. She rolls over and flings her pillow across the room.

"I said I hate myself alright?!" she yells and I'm taken aback by this. I know she had some troubles months ago but I thought she was getting better. What happened that has made her so upset?

"Why?" I ask her.

"Because I'm ugly and unwanted!!! No one cares about me, I'm just the stupid youngest sister who can't do anything right!" Dani says angrily. Her fists are balled up and part of her looks like she could punch a wall and the other part like she could cry.

"Dani you are not ugly or unwanted or stupid. We all care about you and love you so much," I tell her with complete honesty. I move in to hug her but she backs up. I sigh and look down.

"Get up, get dressed and meet me downstairs," I tell her before going over to my bunk and grabbing my phone. I watch as her face grows confused and a little nervous but she does get up and put on a flannel and jeans. I head downstairs and a few minutes later she comes down. I walk out to the car and get in the driver's seat and Dani hesitantly gets into the passenger seat.

"Where are we going?" Dani asks me as I begin driving. I don't answer her, instead I continue driving. It doesn't take long to get to the destination. I step out of the car and take a deep breath.

"We're kinda in the middle of nowhere...." Dani observes and she's right. She follows me as I walk through bushes and trees and she stands in shock once we emerge at the top on a hill.

"After my parents kicked me out I lived in that box. But I tried not to stay around the populated parts of Malibu because it's so much more dangerous. I lived here off and on for awhile. But what I wanted to show you is the view from here," I say and step further out. Dani walks around and looks down the hill that overlooks the beach and ocean.

"It's so beautiful," she says in awe and I nod.

"No matter what was going on and how down I was or how hopeless I felt when I looked out at the sunrise or sunset or even just at the waves constantly lapping against the shore, it reminded me that things go on and they change and that I would be okay," I explain. Dani sits down on the grass and stares out at the scenery. I sit down next to her and we say nothing, just think to ourselves.