Chapter 6

Jessie's POV

I hate him! I hate being here!! My life was just starting to get better and then they have to rip all that out from under me. Maybe my dad is right. Maybe it is because I'm worthless.

I go back to my only comfort and not for a second do I think about how bad this is. I don't care anymore. I give up. If life is meant to be this crappy for me, then fine, whatever. I'm done trying.

I don't do any of my homework and instead go on twitter. I decide to tweet something after I realize how many followers I have now.

@ JessieCimorelli : You know I'm so done...

A tweet that shows how I feel but is also Cimorelli lyrics. I doubt anyone will guess how I feel and that's a good thing.

I watch as I get notification after notification and then see Dani tweeted me back.

@ DaniCim : @ JessieCimorelli looks like someone is a fan now too hahahgsja

I favorite and retweet that but don't respond. I don't know what to say to Dani. Suddenly I get another tweet and I both smile and cry.

@ LisaCim : @ JessieCimorelli I MISS YOU SO MUCH BUNK BUDDY I HOPE WE CAN HANG OUT SOON

@ JessieCimorelli : @ LisaCim I MISS YOU TOO BUT IDK WHEN WE CAN HANG OUT. I'LL LET YOU KNOW

I'm exhausted and have followed so many people that I'm now on follow limit. I put my phone away and curl up in a ball under the covers feeling numb. I want to stay this way forever.

-Next Day-

First class is done and now I just have to go to chemistry. I walk in and my teacher asks us to hand in our homework, I don't though because I didn't do it.

"Jessie can I see you for a minute?" my teacher asks and I walk up to him and wait to hear what he has to say.

"You seem like such a good student, why didn't you do your homework?" he asks.

"I didn't feel like it," I say and shrug my shoulders. He looks taken aback by my words.

"I did not ask for that attitude," he says strictly.

"Whatever," I say and turn to go back to my seat. He threatens to send me to the principal's office but doesn't. I don't really care. Jade looks at me with wide eyes and I think she heard the conversation.

At lunch Jade pulls me to a table and seems to wait for me to tell her what's going on.

"What?" I ask and she sighs.

"What the heck did you think you were doing talking to Mr.Carter that way?" Jade asks in a shocked tone.

"Speaking my mind," I say in an emotionless tone and she looks down at her food. Suddenly instead of looking down she looks past me with very wide eyes.

"What?" I ask her but instead my question is answered by someone else.

"Jess?" I hear the familiar voice say and I turn around and feel her arms wrap around me in a tight hug. I can no longer remain numb, I break down in tears and cry into her shoulder as she hugs me. I'm sure people are staring, some because I'm crying and some because Christina Cimorelli is here but I don't care. I need her.

Finally I sit down and she sits next to me. Jade is still in shock but also looks concerned about me.

"Wh-why did you come here?" I manage to ask Christina. She looks at me with worry written in her eyes.

"I saw your tweet last night and I know it wasn't just our lyrics," she says and I realize I was stupid to think she'd buy that.

"You know me too well," I say and she nods. I remember to introduce her, "Oh by the way, Christina this is Jade, and Jade I don't really need to introduce you because you already know her."

"You're a fan?" Christina asks and Jade nods and grins. They both stand up and Christina gives her a hug.

"Well any friend of Jessie's is a friend of mine," Chris says and Jade looks like she's about to faint. I laugh a little.

The bell rings and I really don't want to go back to class. I look at Christina and she nods.

"Let's go to the office and I'll sign you out for the rest of the day," she says and I say goodbye to a very happy Jade. I walk into the office with Christina but the secretary says since she isn't my parent she can't sign me out. I hold myself together but then the principal comes out of her office.

"Jessie, Christina, what are you doing here?" she asks.

"I wanted to sign Jessie out, today is not a good day and her and I need to talk," Christina says.

"I would agree with that considering her chemistry teacher phoned me saying that she didn't do her homework and then gave him attitude when he asked about it," the principal says. Christina glares at me and I want to shrink into the wall.

"I'll deal with that," Christina says and the principal nods.

"Normally we don't allow anyone but parents to sign their kids out but considering you two are like sisters and you are an adult, I will allow it this time," she says and I'm grateful. Christina signs me out and then we walk to the car. I silently sit in the passenger seat until Christina parks by the beach.

We both get out and sit down on a blanket she spreads over the sand. I'm scared she's going to get mad at me for what I did today in class.

"I'm first going to ask why you gave your teacher attitude," Christina says and I sigh.

"I don't know... it just happened," I say honestly.

"Okay. But what's going on Jess, I know something's wrong," she says.

"I hate everything, why did my happiness have to be taken from me?! Why do I have to wear concealer on my skin?! Why do I have to cry myself to sleep alone?! Why do I have to be so worthless?!!" I scream and see tears falling down Christina's face. I think it's raining but then realize I only feel the drops on my cheeks and that's because I'm crying.

"You're not worthless Jess. You mean so so much to me," Christina tells me and I bury my face in her shoulder. She rubs my back trying to soothe me and does a decent job.

"Jess..." she says and I notice the hesitation in her voice.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Why did you say you have to wear concealer on your skin?" Christina asks. I don't know what to tell her but I guess the truth is the best.

"To cover my bruises," I say and she looks me right in the eyes.

"Is your dad hurting you?" she says in an angry tone. I nod, unable to speak as I watch the anger almost consume all other emotions in her eyes.

"I just want to come home," I whisper and we hug as tight as possible without breaking a rib.

"We're trying Jess but you might have to hold on for a few weeks until your birthday," Christina says.

"I don't know if I'll survive a few more weeks like this," I say quietly as I look down. Christina lifts my head and I see how much she hates this as well. I also see the worry.

"Have you kept our promise?" she asks me and I look away. I can't bear to see her reaction.

"No," she gasps, "please no!" I close my eyes and nod and then sit in silence as Christina thinks about everything.

"When... when you texted me that you needed help was it because of that?" Christina asks and I remember that it was.

"Yes," I barely even make a sound, "One wouldn't stop bleeding and I got scared. But I didn't want to worry you."

"I'm worried about you all the time and that isn't going to change. And don't worry about me, I'm fine, I just want to help you." I know she's trying to help but unless I can go home, nothing will help. Since I can't do that well, I'm screwed.