Chapter 22

Katherine's POV

I turn to poetry at all times of my life. I have the happy poems and then I have the ones that are darker. I'm in the middle of writing a darker one when I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I say even though I'd rather be left alone. Jessie walks in and looks around the room before turning to leave. I wonder what she wanted. Obviously not me but why would it be? Nobody wants me.

"Where are you going?" I say a bit weakly. She says she wanted Christina and I wait for her to leave. Instead she comes and sits down next to me and I feel a little lighter. I notice she's not wearing makeup which is very unlike her and I make sure to tell her how beautiful she is. After that we just sit there for a bit.

"Can I read this?" she asks motioning to my journal. I debate if I want her to. It isn't something soothing or wonderful. It's nothing that any of my sisters realize about me. I let her read it anyways and watch her face go from shocked to understanding while reading my words.

She finishes and looks up at me. I can see the sadness in her eyes and I'm sure she can see mine.

"You're not alone," she whispers and hugs me tight. I let myself go in her arms and begin sobbing. I let myself feel the sadness, the hurt, the complete loneliness. I cling to my sister and cry until I no longer have any tears left. I continue to hug her tight and rest my head on her shoulder. She hugs me as tight as she can and rubs my back with one hand. It feels comforting.

"Kath what's going on?" Jessie whispers.

"I don't know," I say quietly. She gives me a look that basically says she doesn't believe that and waits expectantly for me to say more. I carefully choose my words.

"There's this sadness that comes and goes... but the loneliness, it's always here. I never feel all that loved or cared about," I say only just above a whisper. It feels strange to say all that out loud.

"I've felt that way almost my entire life Kath, I completely understand it. But you are so loved and we all care about you so so much even if we don't show it as much as we should," Jessie says and I believe her. The tone of her voice is strong and steady.

"I love you Jessie," I say and hug her. She hugs back.

"I love you too Kath, I'm always here for you," she says and I smile a little. Talking to someone always helps me.

I hear the door open and someone walk in. Christina awws at the sight of Jessie and I hugging and I remember that Jessie was originally looking for Chris. Jessie turns around to face her.

"Chrissy can I ask you something?" she asks and gets a nod in return before she continues, "I met this really cute guy at the beach last night and he asked me to go for dinner and a movie tonight and I wanted to make sure I could go." She says all that so fast that I almost laugh. But wait... my little sister met a boy?!

"What's his name, how old is he, when is he picking you up and where are you going?" Christina asks the usual questions.

"His name is Eric, um I don't know how old he is, I think around my age, Lauren and Dani met him too so ask them for an approximation as well if you want, he's picking me up at 9 and I don't know where we're going," Jessie says. Hmm... Laur and Dani met him too. I wonder what they think of him.

"Okay fine. But I want to meet him when he picks you up," Christina says and Jessie smiles and nods, thanking her. Jessie then leaves the room and Christina looks at me.

"She doesn't know much about him..." she states and I know she's a little concerned. I get up and we go to the other room, much to our luck, both Lauren and Dani are in it.

"Hey guys, we just have a question," I say and I am ignored. Both Lauren and Dani's eyes stay glued to their phones. Maybe it's because they have headphones in...

"GUYS," Christina snaps and yanks the headphones out of each of their ears. Lauren yelps and Dani jumps when she does it. I feel a little bad for them.

"You two met Eric right?" I ask and they both nod, "What did you think of him?"

"Well he was tall, blond, kinda muscular, maybe about 17 or 18, and nice," Dani says, recalling when they met him. He doesn't seem too bad.

"Anything I missed?" Dani asks Lauren but she shakes her head, looking like she's in a bit of a daze. Weird.

"Okay thanks you two," Christina says and Dani asks why we asked this. When we tell her Jessie has a date, Dani grins. Lauren already has her headphones back in.

I leave and go to bake cookies with Lisa and can't wait to see how Jessie's date goes.