Chapter 8

Christina's POV

Lisa and I run into the ER and go straight to the admit desk.

"Excuse me, I was called because my sister Jessie is here," I tell a nurse and she nods.

"Follow me," she says and Lisa and I walk behind her, leaving the waiting room and going down a hallway.

"So what happened?" Lisa asks nervously.

"Apparently your sister called 911. On the scene they found her mom beaten to death and Jessie performing CPR while also badly beaten herself," the nurse tells us with a sad look. I can't register this.

"Did her dad do it?" I ask as tears threaten to spill out. I see Lisa crying and I squeeze her hand.

"We don't know. She's in shock and believes it's all a dream and that she'll be waking up soon," the nurse replies and I'm not sure what to say to Jessie when I see her. She points to the door to the room that Jessie is in and Lisa and I slowly walk in together but the moment I see her, I take a step back.

"Jessie," I hear Lisa whisper and walk over to her. I stay back. I can't stand seeing my little sister like this.

"Lisa? Christina? Why are you in my dream too?" Jessie asks and I slowly walk over and sit on the bottom of her bed.

"Jessie, I wish this were a dream but it's not, it's real," Lisa says quietly.

"That's what everyone's been saying but I doubt it," Jessie says in a knowing tone. I seriously wish she were right.

"Jess," I put my hand on hers, "It's real. This is real." I watch as her face goes from confusion to shock to realization and next thing you know she's yanked out the IV in her arm and tries to run. A different nurse tries to stop her but Jessie pushes her out of the way.

"This didn't happen!!" Jessie screams and I quickly run in front of her in the hallway and wrap my arms around her. She collapses in my arms and starts to cry uncontrollably. I sit in the middle of the hospital hallway allowing her to cry for a few minutes before helping her up and taking her back to her room.

"My mom, she's really dead?" Jessie says and holds her breath. I nod and she breaks down again. I hold her as Lisa rubs her back to try to calm her as much as possible. I'm trying to get past my shock too. How could her dad kill her mom and then hurt her too?! But the biggest question is how can I help Jessie get through this?

A police officer and a social worker walk in and they stand near Jessie's bed.

"Could I have a minute alone with Jessie?" he asks and Lisa and I get up to leave but a hand grabs both our arms.

"I want them to stay," Jessie says and the police officer nods. Lisa and I sit back down and stay quiet as Jessie tells everything that happened. I realize I'm crying as I hear the horrible events that took place but I hold Jessie's hand, unwilling to let her go. I need to protect her from now on.

The officer leaves and the social worker sits down. I stare at her, waiting to see why she's here.

"Hi I'm Linda and from social work. I just need to ask a few questions," she introduces and I nod.

"First off, Jessie you said these are your sisters but as far as I know, they are not," Linda says.

"For a while I ran away and was homeless. The Cimorellis took me in, I finally felt like I had a real family and I call them my siblings because in my mind, that's what they are, blood related or not," Jessie tells her and she smiles a little.

"Okay well I'm glad you have them," she says and Jessie smiles a little at Lisa and I.

"Now then my question to you two is can you take her and also where are your parents?" Linda asks and I know what I'm going to say.

"We definitely want her back if she wants to come back and our parents were out at the time we got the call. But we've been fighting to get her back for the past month," I say.

"I want to come home more than anything in the world," Jessie says and lays her head on Lisa's shoulder. The social worker smiles and nods. I give her Mom's phone number to contact her and she exits the room.

"Guys," Jessie starts, "Honestly how bad do I look?" I look down and she pleads with us to tell her. Lisa finally pulls out her phone and puts the camera on. Jessie looks at it for a moment before gasping.

"I look like a monster," she says as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"No you don't," Lisa tells her but Jessie remains unconvinced.

We stay with her until the doctor finally comes in and tells us we can leave. Lisa and I help Jessie out to the car and I sit in the back with her while Lisa drives.

"What is everyone going to say?" Jessie wonders aloud and I know everyone is going to stare. I wish they wouldn't but I know they will.

"They're going to be so happy that you're home,"I tell her.