Chapter 4

Jessie's POV

After seeing Christina and Mom at school I've felt like crying all day. I feel even more homesick and all I want is to curl up in my top bunk and listen to Lisa singing or talking to herself.

Instead I sit on my bed and fill out a course selection form for school. I start classes tomorrow so I need to have this done. I really don't want to go but I have no choice. I went to a different school before becoming homeless and then being homeschooled and I'm scared that Malibu High will be just like my old school, full of stuck up girls and rude guys who are players.

I finally finish the form and grab my phone out of its secret drawer and notice Lauren just sent me a text a few minutes ago.

L: Hey Jessie how are you?

J: I'm doing alright, how about you?

L: Same. Can I ask you something?

J: Of course

L: Has Dani texted you at all or told you anything?

J: No why?

L: She's acting weird today and I know something's wrong. She isn't telling anyone though and I'm worried

This worries me a bit as well but I know I need to reassure Lauren. Her and Dani are really close and anytime one of them is upset, I know how much it hurts the other one too.

J: I'll text her and see if she'll talk to me but don't worry Laur, she'll be okay

L: I hope so...

J: She will. You all will be okay.

L: Ok well thanks

J: Anytime. I gotta go eat now so I'll talk to you tomorrow

My guess is that Lauren thinks I'm going to go downstairs, sit down at the table and eat with my family. I wish that would be what happens but instead I knock on my door and call out.

"Mom, I'm hungry. Could I please have dinner now?" I ask and then remember to hide my phone just in time. My mom opens the door and hands me a plate of rice, peas and chicken before shutting the door and locking it.

I sit at my desk and stare at the chicken, remembering how much Lauren and Dani are obsessed with it. A tear rolls down my cheek but I quickly wipe it away. I'm stuck here, I need to be strong!

I eat everything on my plate and then grab my phone again to text Dani. I really hope she'll open up to me. She responds almost immediately.

J: Hey Dani

D: Hey

J: What's up?

D: Just laying on my bed, hbu?

J: Just ate dinner

D: Fun

J: I guess. Um I don't mean to pry or anything but is everything okay? I heard that today's been rough for you

D: Who told you?!

J: Doesn't matter. What matters to me is how you're doing

D: Well... not too good

J: Why?

D: Can we talk in person?

J: I start school tomorrow at Malibu High so if you want to come there while it's lunch

D: Ok I'll see you then

J: Okay, take care, be safe

D: You too