Chapter 1

Jessie's POV

The car parks in the driveway and I get out and look at my old house. I refuse to call it a home because it never had that quality, there was never love or care.

My dad grabs me by the wrist and I sigh as he takes me inside and tells me to sit on the couch.

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING?!" my dad shouts and I flinch and stare blankly at the rug.

"ANSWER ME," he yells but I still do nothing. I don't owe any explanations to him. He slaps me and I wince in pain. I look up at him and see the fury in his eyes.

"I- I just wanted to be independent. Then I found that family and grew close with them," I say.

"Do you really think they love you?" he asks.

"Yes I know they do," I respond and he starts to laugh. I fight back the tears threatening to spill down my cheeks.

"Well none of that matters anymore because you live here from now on," my mom says walking into the living room. I look at her with pleading eyes, wishing she'd recognize how painful this is for me and try to help. Instead she glares at me and stands beside my dad. Why did I even expect anything different?

My dad stands up, grabs my arm with one hand and grabs my suitcase with the other and walks upstairs. I'm roughly shoved into my old room and the suitcase chucked in after me. Then the door is shut and I hear him lock it.

Laying on my bed, I curl into a ball and let the tears flow. I miss the Cimorellis so much. I especially miss Christina and Lisa, they always can comfort me.

I grab my hidden phone out of my suitcase and see I have several texts. One from Christina, one from Dani and two from Lisa. I decide to check Dani's first.

Dani: We miss you already Jessie!! Stay strong!

I smile a little and text back.

Me: I miss you guys too and I want you all to stay strong as well! We're gonna get through this, don't worry Dani

I needed to reassure her even if I don't believe that last sentence. I don't want them to worry about me. I then tap on Christina's and feel a tightness in my chest as I read it.

Chrissy: Are you okay?? I won't let them keep you for long, you just gotta be strong. I love you Jess don't forget that

Me: I'll be fine Chrissy, I love you too

The tears really start rolling down my cheeks when I read Lisa's texts.

Lise: I want you to be strong. For me, for Christina, for this family, and especially for yourself. You will be okay.
The room seems emptier already and all I want is a nice big hug from you :(

Me: I'm gonna do my best Lisa and I'm sure I'll be hugging you before you know it...

I turn my phone off and hide it in my secret drawer that I find a few of my old blades in. I touch one but don't use it. I made a promise to Chrissy and Lisa and I really don't want to break it.

I sit on a chair next to my window and watch cars drive by. I want to scream but know that my dad would throw a fit. I hate to admit it but I'm honestly really scared. I don't know if my dad is also drinking because his anger escalates when he's drunk.

Several hours pass and I realize I must've fallen asleep on my bed. I hear screams and I know what's happening. He's hurting mom. I pound on my locked door and yell for him to stop hurting her but he pays no mind.

Sometimes I hate my mom but I also know she goes along with what he does because she's afraid of him too. It's hard to blame her except that she could've left him years ago. Instead I was the one who left... for a while at least. I sigh in defeat but decide to bang on my door and scream for him to stop one last time.

I hear silence and I sit on my bed, thankful he stopped hurting my mom. However I hear my door being unlocked and I start to sweat. This isn't going to be good.

"You wanted me to stop hurting your mom huh?" my dad roars and I nod.

"Don't hurt her Tim!" my mom says in tears. I see bruises on her arms and face and I become angry.

"Why do you hurt us? Why do you believe we'll just sit here and take it? It's not okay Dad!" I tell him calmly, holding back my urge to punch him. Instead he slaps my cheek and then kicks my leg so I fall down in pain. I close my eyes so he doesn't see me cry.

I hear the door lock again and then his voice.

"Serves that slut right." I start to cry and don't hold back my tears. My leg hurts and my cheek stings a little. I just want my family.