Chapter 7

Christina's POV

After talking with Jessie that day, she practically disappeared. She'll text Lisa, Dani or I every few days but not for long. It's like she doesn't want to be a part of the family anymore.

I walk downstairs to get lunch and see Amy and Kath in the kitchen already.

"Have you heard from Jessie?" Amy asks.

"Kinda, she didn't say much as usual," I respond and Kath focuses on what she's cooking. Amy sighs.

"Did she find a better life without us?" Amy mutters.

"Maybe talking to us but not being able to live here is difficult for her so she's just trying to make it easier for herself," Kath suggests and I think she might be right. Amy agrees with it too.

"Talking about Jessie?" Lauren asks as she walks into the kitchen. Kath nods and Lauren takes a quick taste of the soup on the stove.

"I wish she was back, I loved hanging out with her plus when Dani couldn't come to me, she'd go to her. Dan hasn't been the same since Jessie left," Lauren tells us and I realize she's right. Dani seems like she's hiding stuff.

"How long until her 18th birthday?" Amy asks.

"2 weeks," I respond.

"It's already been 3 weeks without her," Lisa says, joining our conversation. I realize it has been a long time and I feel like crying, I don't know if she's okay or not. Jessie won't tell me much anymore.

Jessie's POV

School is boring as usual. The only semi-fun class is gym and the only person keeping me sane is Jade. Her and I have become good friends and having chemistry, lunch, and gym with her is pretty great.

I haven't talked to my sisters much though. It's just... it's hard. Reading their texts is painful because I want to be there but I can't. I hope they aren't mad at me or anything but if they do move on with their lives and forget about me, well I'll be crushed but will have to deal with it. I just can't keep doing this.

My dad's been drinking way too much. I know that he's been beating my mom up but I hide in my room. I wish I was brave enough to defend her but I'm not. I dread going home after school but it's not like I currently have a choice.

"Earth to Jessie," Jade says and waves a hand in front of my face. I quickly snap out of my thoughts and look at her.

"Oops," I say and give a fake smile. She smiles back, unsuspecting that anything is wrong. That's the difference between her and my sisters... they would have made me tell them everything by now. Wait. I can't stop comparing them. The past is the past and now is now.

"Are you ready for dodgeball?" Jade asks.

"Oh you're going down!" I announce and we have an argument about it, ending in laughter.

"Guess we'll have to see," Jade says and goes to her side. I walk to my team and unfortunately we lose. The bell rings signalling the end of the day and Jade sticks her tongue out at me. I pretend to be hurt by it and she laughs. I can't keep pretending and start to laugh as well.

Walking home, I hear birds chirping and I love the sound. Even though California doesn't really have much distinguishing features in different seasons, I'm still happy that it's now Spring.

However when I walk in the door, I know something is wrong yet again. I scream as I walk into the living room. The white carpet is stained red as my dad is beating my mom. I can't stop screaming but suddenly my dad is punching, slapping, and kicking me as well.

"You worthless, good for nothing, piece of shit," he says as I curl into a ball on the floor. I put my hands over the back of my head to protect it and let myself go numb.

After what seems like forever I hear the front door open and shut and I go to sit up but the pain all over my body is too great. I slide myself over to where my mom lies.

"Mom! Mom please say something. Move your finger! Something!!" I yell but she does nothing. I remember how to feel for a pulse and I put my fingers to her neck but feel nothing.

I remember my phone and grab it from my backpack and dial 911. I put it on speaker and begin CPR. I never thought I'd need know it in a situation like this. I explain to the lady what happened and she tells me paramedics are on their way.

The sirens get louder and finally a woman and a guy take a stretcher into my house.

"Save her, please save her!" I tell them and the guy takes over CPR while the lady puts the defibrillator pads on my moms chest and shocks her. Her heart doesn't start though and they keep trying. Nothing works.

I watch them exchange a glance before the guy looks at his watch. What is he doing?

"Time of death 16:21," he announces and I start to scream. The woman tries to hold me back but I lay on my mom's chest, unable to stop screaming. She can't be dead!!!! It's not possible! My dad couldn't have done this!

I fight against them but some other people get me onto a stretcher and tie me down. I ride to the hospital and finally stop screaming. This isn't real. This can't be real.

As the doctors and nurses start examining me, I realize how much my body hurts. I look down and see cuts and bruises all over. Wow this is one crazy dream. It's never been this weird before.

"Can you tell us what happened?" a police officer asks me. I look at him confused.

"Don't worry, it's just a dream," I tell him, "I'll be waking up soon." His expression is full of sadness but I don't know why.

"Hunny is there any family we can call?" a nurse asks and I see my phone on a table and point to it. She hands it to me and I unlock it and go through my contacts.

"Call my sister Christina," I tell her and she exits the room. I wonder why she needs to call her.

Christina's POV

My phone rings and I see that it's Jessie. I happily pick it up, finally she wants to talk.

"Jess! How are you?" I say.

"Is this Christina?" I hear an adult voice ask. Oh no, what's going on?! I confirm that's who I am.

"Jessie has been in... um well she's in the ER. Could you possibly come to the hospital?" the nurse asks.

"Yes of course, what happened?" I ask beginning to freak out.

"Just come," the nurse says and I hang up. I quickly grab car keys and my purse.

"Where you going?" Lisa asks and I have no time to explain. I motion for her to follow as I run to the car. She gets in the passenger side and I drice right at the speed limit to the hospital, telling Lisa what the nurse said.

"Oh god," Lisa says and I pull into the parking lot.

"Please let Jess be alright," I silently pray.

AN: This is definitely one of the most intense scenes I've ever written and I want to say two things. One, I sincerely apologize if this was a trigger for you, I understand that some people are going through or perhaps have gone through something similar which leads to me to the next thing.
I dedicate this chapter to anyone who has ever been physically, emotionally, and/or sexually abused. It is a very real thing that absolutely no one deserves! I want you to continue reading this story and I hope you're comforted even a little bit as you pretend that you're Jessie, comforted by the Cimorelli girls. I understand how difficult abuse of any kind and of any strength can be and I want to remind every single one of you how strong you are. YOU ARE WORTH SO SO MUCH! I believe in you. I believe you can get through anything and everything no matter how tough it may be. And I am here for you if you need me. I care.