Chapter 31

Jessie's POV

Katherine encourages me to talk and I lay down on my towel, feeling the sun rays on my body. It does feel good to inhale the salty breeze. I figure out what my first words should be. I haven't talked to anyone but the little boys in days.

"It hurts," I manage to say quietly.

"I know hun having your heart broken is so painful. And the way he did it was just... awful," Kath searches for the right word.

"I'm usually so careful, how did I fall for him?" I ask, completely unsure of it myself. Kath tells me that it wasn't my fault. Eric was a manipulator. He knew how to make me let him in and fall in love only to try to get what he wanted. All he wanted was to get in someone's pants. Kath and I talk for hours about heartbreak and pain. She's gone through boys leaving her too and it's nice knowing that someone understands a bit.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask after laying in the sun for awhile. the breeze blows my hair and it's starting to get a little chilly.

"Of course," Kath responds as I knew she would. I just had to make sure though.

"Do you ever regret taking me back to your house and getting to know me?" I ask kind of quietly. This bothers me sometimes, I never quite know if they're glad they did what they did or if they're just putting up with me.

"Jessie I will never ever regret finding you. Never. You're just as much a part of the family as I am. None of us could ever live without you!" Kath says and I feel a bit better. She wraps an arm around my shoulder and I lean my head against hers. It's true, they all do treat me like family. In a few days we leave for their tour. I'm so excited yet nervous for that. Then I realize... will I even want to go? What about Lauren...?

"Kath what do I do about Lauren?" I blurt out and she turns her body to face me.

"You go to her alone and ask her to explain. Listen to her. Don't mix up feelings with the truth. And then do what you feel is best, I can't tell you to forgive her or not, that's up to you but at least hear her out," she says and I nod at her wise words. I know she's right. When we get home I need to talk to Lauren.

I think Katherine realizes I've decided to talk to my sister and soon she gets up and packs up her towel. I do the same and take one last look at the sun setting over the Pacific Ocean before getting into her car. We quietly drive home, my nerves beginning to act up a little. My palms are sweaty and my heart is beating faster than normal. I haven't talked to Lauren for days... I haven't really talked to anyone for days.

I open the door and see several pairs of eyes looking up at me. Amy's, Alex's, and Lisa's. I give them a small smile and Lisa jumps up and runs to me. She practically crashes right into me with her hug and I give her a squeeze. I've missed my bunk buddy. I also give Amy and Alex a hug, smiling as I feel the warmth of my family's love for me and my love for them.

I go upstairs and put my towel in the laundry. Then I take a deep breath and knock on my bedroom door. Dani answers it and I see Lauren up on her bed.

"Can I talk to her alone?" I ask a little shyly. Dani looks at Lauren then back at me and nods. She asks me not to kill her though and I giggle nervously. I wouldn't ever do that, she watches too many crime shows.

I walk in and shut the door after Dani leaves. I watch Lauren look up shocked to see me then quickly looks down at her phone. I climb up the ladder to her bed and I notice that she tenses up. She's scared of me... that makes me almost cry.

"Lauren I want to talk. Not the yell at you kind but I actually want to hear your side of the story," I say and she looks up at me.

"I'm a horrible person," Lauren blurts out and I grab her hand.

"No you're not. You're only human."