Chapter 2

Jessie's POV

I wake up to see cereal and juice sitting on my desk with a note attached. I take a bite while reading.

Jessie,
I know you will still hate me but I still want to say I'm sorry. Be ready at 10 because I'm taking you to register at Malibu High.
Mom

I'm hit with both happiness and sadness. Happy because I can get out of the house every day but sad because school sucks and I liked being homeschooled by Mom... well, Mrs.Cimorelli.

I see it's 9:20 so I quickly eat, take a shower in the bathroom attached to my room and then get dressed. I put on a pink tank top, black shorts and a denim jacket. I find my old combat boots and put them on to complete my outfit.

At 10 my mom unlocks my door and we walk out to the car in silence. During the short ride to the highschool I turn to look at her.

"How did you convince dad to let me go?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"It's the law for you to go, Jess," my mom says.

"Don't call me Jess!" I snap, remembering that's Christina's nickname for me and now desperately wishing she was next to me. My mom looks hurt but pulls into the parking lot.

"Remember to -" I cut her off.

"To pretend like nothing's wrong, I know," I say and walk into the school. My mom and I talk to the secretary and then go into the principal's office.

"Welcome to Malibu High Jessie," the principal says and introduces herself, "Where was your last school?"

"Actually for the past while, I've been homeschooled," I say and my mom glares at me.

"By whom?" she asks.

"My mom.. I mean my friends' mom. I lived with them for a while before moving back home," I say with a fake smile.

"Okay well I need to talk to your friends' mom then in order to obtain your grades. Do you think she could come in right now?" the principal asks and my mom looks like she's gonna flip. I nod and she gives me the phone. I hesitantly dial their home number and the voice I've been longing to hear answers.

"Hello?"

"Hey Chrissy," I say with a genuine smile.

"JESS!!!" she screams and I see an amused look on the principal's face, not so much for my mom though.

"Listen, I'm registering at Malibu High, can Mom bring over my grades right now?" I ask. I hear her ask Mom.

"Yeah sure, she'll be there in like 10 minutes," Christina replies and we hang up.

Christina's POV

Hearing Jessie's voice was the best thing ever. I could sense some hesitation probably because her mom is there but still. She called!!

I'm really worried about her so I ask if I can go with mom. Everyone else went out and I want to see Jess so badly. Mom nods and I get into the passenger side.

I walk into Malibu High behind mom and we're told they're in the principal's office. The moment I see Jess and she sees me, I run to her and give her a big hug.

"Are you okay?" I whisper in her ear.

"I'm trying," she whispers back and we stand up straight again. I can see behind her brave face, the sadness and fear in her eyes. I wrap an arm around her shoulder.

Mom shows the principal Jessie's grades and I glance at Jessie's mom. She looks really mad, I'm guessing she doesn't want us to be here. Oh well, I don't care what she thinks.

The principal smiles at Jessie and I once the adults have filled out all the paperwork.

"I don't think you two were introduced," Jessie says, "Ms. Crisfield, this is my sister Christina." I beam as she says sister although if looks could kill, I'd be dead from her mom's glare.

My mom goes to leave but hugs Jessie first. I know I have to go so I give Jessie a super tight hug and hold back a tear.

"You're so strong," I whisper in her ear before walking out of the room. As soon as we get out to the parking lot I look at mom whose face probably mirrors my own. Worry. Worry and fear.