Chapter 12

Jessie's POV

Kath and I sit there after that without talking for awhile. It's peaceful and I love these moments where I know I'm safe. The breeze blows my hair a little.

My phone begins to vibrate and both Katherine and I look at it. I pick it up.

J: Hello?
Person: Am I speaking to Jessie?
J: Yes
Person: I'm sorry to bother you but we really need to know when you can make arrangements.
J: Um I'll do that this afternoon then
Person: Okay, thank you. And once again, I'm very sorry for your loss.
J: Thanks. Bye.

I hang up and Kath looks at me, waiting for me to tell her about the phone call.

"I need to do the arrangements this afternoon," I say quietly.

"If you want, I'll drive you," she offers and I nod. I could drive myself but this means I have someone there with me too. I don't want to be alone.

We go back into the house and I see Lisa and Dani in the kitchen. I quickly run by, I can't handle another run-in with Dani. It hurt bad enough earlier. I haven't talked to Lisa much though and I miss her like crazy. I should definitely talk to her tonight.

I grab my purse and put my phone and wallet in it. I now have control over my mom's bank account which is how I'm going to pay for everything. Then I go to the other room and walk in. Kath is getting her purse and Christina sits up when she sees me.

"Jess are you okay? I'm so sorry I fell asleep," Christina asks, using her nickname for me. I want to honestly tell her I'm not but I don't want to worry her. Not right now.

"I'm fine and don't worry about it Chrissy," I say and she nods, knowing I'm not about to tell her anything more.

"Ready?" Katherine asks me and I tell her I am. Christina asks where we're going and I'm caught off guard.
"Just wanted to go get a bite to eat and maybe look around a bit at the mall," Kath quickly covers for us and we head out to the car. Once we're in I give her a very thankful look and she smiles a tiny bit. I know she doesn't like lying.

She drives me to the place and helps me choose things. We finish and I'm shaking really hard. We walk to a park next to the parking lot, it is a really nice day out but at the same time, it's not. This was even harder than I thought it'd be. Like yeah, my mom and I weren't close but still, now it's really starting to feel real.

"K-Kath I d-don't feel well," I stutter while shaking. The look on her face is of alarm and that sure doesn't reassure me.

The next thing I know Katherine is shaking me and telling me to wake up. I open my eyes slowly too see relief wash over her.

"What?" I mumble and she helps me sit up.

"You passed out Jessie, I was scared," Kath tells me and I'm in shock. I've never passed out before. I put one hand to my head, it hurts a little.

"I'm fine now, don't worry," I try to reassure her. I know she doesn't fully buy it but she does accept it.

"Let's go home, I think some rest would be good for you," she suggests and I stand up. I feel a bit dizzy now too but I don't want to say anything and worry her more. I get into the passenger side of the car and we drive home in silence, I keep my eyes closed to try to stop the dizziness.

Arriving home, I get out and stumble into the house. Lisa and Lauren are right by the door on the piano and singing. They smile at Kath and I and I manage to give a weak smile back before walking upstairs. I feel crappy and I don't even bother putting on pajamas. I throw my purse on the ground and climb up to my bunk.

I pull my blanket to my chin, face the wall and close my eyes. I'm almost asleep when I hear someone enter the room and shut the door again. I hear them climb up the ladder and sit down next to me.

"You're never alone Jessie, I'm here," I hear my bunk mate's voice whisper just as I fall asleep.

I open my eyes what feels like only a few minutes later to see Lisa still sitting next to me.

"Lise?" I mumble, still half-asleep and she looks down at me and smiles.

"You're awake," she observes.

"How long was I asleep and what are you still doing here?" I ask her.

"Well you got home around 4 and it's-" she checks her phone, "it's 9 now so I guess around 5 hours." Wow, I really was feeling sick. I still kinda am but not as bad as before.

"You didn't answer my second question," I say and she sighs.

"I'm worried about you. Christina, Kath and I all are. Kath told me what you two did today." I suddenly feel angry that Katherine told Lisa but I also know she didn't want to hide things or hold them in and I understand that.

"You didn't have to stay," I tell her but she shakes her head.

"I wanted to. Besides it gave me time to think about things," Lisa says and I let it go. I slowly sit up and hug Lisa tight.

"You've always been here for me Lise, thank you," I tell her and I'm pretty sure I feel a few tears on my back. I don't mind it though. I'm reminded of Dani and what happened this morning and I suddenly pull away of the hug.

"How's Dani?" I quickly ask.

"We told Mom and Dad while you and Kath were out and she's going to start going to counselling," Lisa says and I smile a little.

"Good, I just want her to be healthy again and feel happier," I say and Lisa agrees. I start wondering if she'll ever forgive me though... what if I lost my youngest sister forever?