Chapter 19 Midnight Flight

*The sun was coming up and I was starting to become tired again. I closed my eyes only too feel movement underneath my wing. I cracked my eye open and saw Zander yawning sleepily. He looked around confused for a moment then he looked like he remembered where he was at then got confused again as he looked at my wing around him then he looked over and saw me a chair down from him.*

"Morning Iceis."

"Night Zander."

"Iceis"

"What?"

"You can't go to sleep."

"Why not?!"

"We have class in an hour."

"Then go,you know I am nocturnal."

"Come on ,up Iceis."

*Zander pulled me up out of the chair and put me on his back. I tucked my wings in loosely as he walked out back to his room to get changed into his uniform. I just laid limply on his back too tired to move. I could feel myself getting picked up and the different fabric told me he had changed.*

"Up you go Iceis off to go see the wonderful teachers of Oz."

"Oz?"

"It's a book."

"Mhmmmm."

*I started to slip in and out from sleep till I started to hear Miss Heart talking.*

"Zander what did you do to your dragon?!"

"Nothing,she is nocturnal."

"Quiet...so tired....."

"You didn't give her tranquilizer did you?"

"No,if she will just wake up then she will tell you."

"Too tired...nocturnal..."

"There you have it Miss Heart."

"Ok,today we will be learning about the dragon rider bond with their dragon. All of you should have received your rider mark from your dragon it can very depending on the gender and species on what it will look like,but it should have been given to you on your left or right hand. Today we are going to learn about in detail on what the dragon rider mark symbolizes."

"Does anybody have an idea?"

"The bond between rider and dragon."

"That is correct,but what it truly symbolizes is accomplishment. The more you accomplish with your dragon the strong the bond will grow as well as the mark. I am sure you have all noticed your marks getting bigger,if you haven't yet then that just means you haven't reached a milestone yet. Now some of you may be wondering what if you don't have a riders mark. Well the answer to that is simple. You aren't a dragons rider. The dragon won't stick with you and may kill you if you try to ride them without the riders permission."

"Miss Heart,I am not a dragon rider,but Iceis still let's me go on flights with her. What do you make of that?"

"Well,clearly you are an exception to the rule of dragon riding."

*I felt some poking on my side and I cracked my eye open sleepily.*

"Yes...."

"Try staying awake."

"Why? I made sure nobody tried to kill you in your sleep."

"Say what?!"

"Let...sleep zzzzzzzzzzz"

"No,you gotta stay awak."

"Planning thank you.....zzzzzzzz"

"Thank you what?"

*I drifted back off into a deep sleep no matter if the world was coming to an end I wouldn't wake up. Finally, the frosty midnight air was what woke me up. Zander was tapping his pencil against a desk trying to do whatever it was he was doing.*

"Ok, why don't I have you take a break?"

"So you finally woke up did you?"

"Yeah it's night now. Come on, up you go."

*I grabbed Zander's hand and pulled him up out of his seat. I drug him outside and positioned myself so I had a clear shot upwards.*

"Ok,hope on my back."

"Iceis,I am going to break your back if I do."

"Just get on before I sling you on."

*He gave me a bit of an unsure look then slowly and carefully grabbed onto my back I grabbed onto his legs he was a bit heavy considering I only weighed ten pounds everything was heavier than me. I unfurled my wings as the ends stayed frilly and blade like I relaxed and focused on Zander and we started to go through the earth. Zander held on tightly and I started to beat my wings climbing back up for the sky.*

"Iceis you are going to kill us!!"

"Relax. Just don't move or we will die."

*Zander immediately stopped fidgeting and I sped up he clung tightly to my back and, but tucked his hands under my primary back feathers. I clamped them down so he was secure and I did the same to his legs. I started to make some dives and twists and he started to relax and enjoy the ride more. Surprisingly his weighted helped me go faster on a few parts of the ride. I just couldn't figure out how to beat my wings to go the right pace to keep the extremely fast pace.*

"This is so much fun! I now know why dragons love to fly as well as birds!"

"See flying is fun,it would be more comfortable if I could only take on the regular dragon form tho..."

*I looked around through the clear frosty sky and I released some of my heat to prevent Zander from freezing. I took a dive down and made sure my draperies were over Zander so he wouldn't turn to barbecued human and I turned my body heat to cold to increase the chances of him not getting burned. He pressed himself up to my back and I covered him with my wings so I prevented him from getting wind lash and burned. I dove down much faster With Zander and relaxed my body so I went through the earth and climbed back up with my talons and wing hooks. Once we reached the surface I let Zander out from my wings and his hair was everywhere from the flight.*

"So,what did you think of this flight?"

"We can do that again right?"

"Course,I just need to build more wing muscle so I can go longer."

*Zander had a grin plastered on his face and so did I from seeing him so happy.*