8. When it's too much

Waking with a start, I sit up wiping at my burning eyes. Sweat kisses my back and heartbeat was going double time.  Trying to control my breathing, I get out of the bed and walk downstairs. The burning in my eyes got stronger as the haunted memories flashed through my mind. The Son of a bitçh is as good as dead but something feels off about it.

I shake the thoughts from my head and search for a glass in the cabinet. Pulling one out, I absentmindly fill my glass with water. The cool water soothes my dry throat and tries to put ease to my active mind. The hairs in the back of my neck raise and then I hear him.

"You should really learn to lock your doors at night. It's not safe you know." Daniel says walking into the dimly lit kitchen.

"What the hell," I say choking on the water, the glass topple from my hand and shatters on the floor around me. "Great.." I mutter looking over my shoulder for the broom.

"Don't move. I mean it." He almost growls and advances across the room to grab the broom and dust pan. The glass crunches underneath his shoes. He sits them down near me and wraps his hand around me lifting me from the ground.

"Daniel! Sto-" I stop mid-sentence as he sits me on the counter top.

"Don't. Move." He says looking me in my eyes. My cheeks warm and I mutter an okay as I look away from him. He sweeps up the broken glass and throws it all the way. Making sure the floor is extra clear, he does one last check before returning his gaze on me. My face was screwed in a tight little frown. His eyes dance over me before he opens his mouth.

"What's wrong?" He ask walking closer to me and I thought jumping down would be a good idea but he thought against it. His arms caged me in on the counter. His face intensely analyzing mine. Pushing him back some, I hopped off the counter putting some space between our bodies.

"Oh... I don't know. Might be seeing you just invited yourself in at let's see... 1:30am. How many other houses have you walked in uninvited at this time." I say squaring my stance. Tilting my head to one side I squinted at him and narrowed my lips. "Matter fact why don't you-"

"You could have been dead leaving the door unlocked like that. You are smarter than that." His voice cutting me off. His towering fame was making this an unfair arugment. The house was silent and the soft sound of the wind breezed through the cracks of the open kitchen window.

"And I wasn't the last one out the door today smartass." I say crossing my arm. The look on his face was unreadable. I forced a shiver  back as he walked up to me. His height making me feel smaller than small.

"You are the oldest right? You don't do a house check... sound like someone needs to be spanked." He says keeping his heated gaze fixed on me. "Fortunately for you, I'm free and extremely good with my hands."

My mouth ran dry and I took a tiny step back. The pound heartbeat in my ears had me guessing if I just heard him right. Gripping my hands together nervously, I couldn't take my eyes off his face.

"Mar-" I say heat taking over my body as I imagine his big smooth hands smacking me hard on my ass. Suddenly I turn my head away as harsh blush blossoms across my face.

"Go on, say it.. My real name." He says leaning down as his body crowds my space and starts to cause my brain to malfunction. The ringing in my ear stop and I push him back again.

"Stop." I say weakly. My tongue was thick with desire and the lie struggled to sound convincing. Smiling lightly he backs up giving me the space I asked for and treads back to the island in the middle of the kitchen.

Taking a deep breath I step back, to sit on the counter behind me. Finally getting over the desire slightly, I notice he is wearing causal clothes. A thin gray shirt and some low hanging sweat pants.