“Angie, he’s right, you have to put your schoolwork in front of him” Danny nodded.

I shook my head violently.

“Angie” he persisted.

“No, I can go to school here and be with Harry and everything will be ok” I stated almost obsessively.

Of course nothing would ever be “ok,” but as long as Harry was beside me or holding me or even inside me, it didn’t matter what was “ok” and what wasn’t.

Danny refused to let me go out in the street, especially now that it had gotten darker. So I went up to my room and stared out my window for God knows how long. I just sat there and waited and waited until my eyes were sore and Danny had to tuck me into bed.

I closed my eyes and replayed Harry’s grin in my head in order to forget everything else he had said today. It worked for a minute. Then I saw the solemn marble-like eyes look down in rejection. I wished I could hold onto his face and kiss him til my lips were sore and prove to him that I wasn’t going anywhere, not even for all the gold in the world.

***

Harry passed by my house occasionally and he nodded to me at the restaurant, but he never did or said much more or less. I tried to get him to talk or at least listen to me, but he was adamant about my school.

I caught up with him at the end of our shifts at the restaurant.

“Angie, you have to go. You can’t throw this opportunity away” he told me softly.

I shook my head stubbornly.

“Angie” he sighed. “Don’t make this more difficult than it already is” he spoke gently.

He held my hand in his and rubbed my palm soothingly.

I squeezed his hand.

“Harry, I don’t want to go to Connecticut!” I raised my voice.

I want to stay here with you!” I told him.

“Angie! You have to do something with your life. You have the chance to become something!” he spoke loudly.

Then he took a deep breath. He started to walk past me and to his truck.

I stood in front of his truck and refused to move an inch. Harry could easily lift me up over his shoulders and carry me back inside and get in his truck, but he just stood there a minute, letting me finish what I had to say.

“Even if I go to the depths of Hell or the hills of Connecticut, I will always be your angel and you will always be knight” I told him whole-heartedly.

He shook his head slowly in tormented disapproval of my words.

“No, Angie. You have to let people know your name. Be something more than I’ll ever be” he almost whispered.

“Harry, the only name I want is yours and the only thing I want to be is yours” I confessed. I looked straight into his eyes and didn’t dare blink. I didn’t need to; I was telling the truth.

“Angie” he sighed. I knew it pained him to have to let me go off on my own, but it tormented me even more knowing that he was doing it for my sake.

I stood up on my tippy toes so that I could reach his lips. I held his face in my hands and moved a stray curl from over his eye. He lowered his head closer to mine and I pressed my lips to his. He let his tongue find mine for a moment, but only a moment. Then he drew back slightly and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

Harry rubbed the small of my back gently.

“I wish it was as easy as that” he admitted in a soft whisper, close to my ear.