Chapter 52: Tell You Something

George POV.

“Where’d you go?” I asked, watching as Clay stepped into the room and shut the door behind him. In one hand was a phone and in the other was what looked to be an earpiece or something. Slowly, and tiredly he walked over and sat himself on the edge of the bed, taking a moment before responding to me.

“Sorry, I was just… going to the bathroom.” He hesitated. I was unsure as to what it was that he meant, since it felt as though he had been gone for an hour at the very least. That was far too long to be in the bathroom, unless the blond happened to be really unwell or sick.

I didn’t comment on it since it seemed as though he was perfectly fine, plus it would be a very embarrassing topic. He moved to sit near me and I nuzzled my face in. “Did you miss me?” He asked with a chuckle. “You were asleep the entire time!”
“I can still miss you instinctively.” I defended myself.

“Plus, you woke me up when you moved me off of you.” I added, lying through my teeth. He was correct about the fact that I had been asleep the entire time.
“Oh sure.” He nodded, rolling his eyes and I managed a smile as I began to kiss at him, holding his face.

“You are so pretty.” He chuckled. “If I woke you up then I don’t know how I would be able to live with myself.” We both kissed one another with our arms wrapping around each other’s waist and shoulders. It was a soft and loving moment.

“I love you so much.” I smiled, pressing our foreheads together. We listened quietly to one another’s breathing. Then he slowly lowered me down and we went to wrap our bodies around each other, legs tangling together and the rough hair from the beard beginning to grow scratched at my face.

It was sweet, but I didn’t say anything for the moment, instead allowing us to lay in an embrace with one another. We listened to the sound of the outside world from the window that was cracked open. There were cars driving mast and the murmur of people talking which melted into words together.

“Actually…” He began, sitting up after a while of us melting together in a loving glob. “There is something that I wanted to talk to you about.” Clay seemed quick and happy at first and I would have easily done whatever he wanted. However he quickly changed and was more hesitant. “But I am not sure if you would want to hear it.”

The blond looked away, not saying anything for a few minutes and I waited patiently. When he eventually spoke I thought that it would be an answer but instead he just continued to delay with a ramble. “This will completely change everything, if you hear it. Are you sure that you want to hear?” I was concerned.

“Clay…” I began, remaining slow and cautious. “I trust you completely. You can tell me anything, I promise.” Cautiously my hands slipped over to his and I gave him a look of reassurance, lips curved up in a smile.
“Are you completely sure?” The blond repeated.

“Yes I-” I was cut off as Karl burst through the door.
“Hey George, Clay! I heard about this really interesting movie playing at the cinema in twenty minutes!” He said eagerly. “Sapnap is currently buying four tickets, and there is a deal for half-price snacks! Let’s go!”

“Karl.” I responded, looking over at his eager expression. “We are in no state to go out at the moment, especially for something in twenty minutes.”
"But it's a really good movie. I'm sure if I talked to Sapnap he could get the workers to wait for us to arrive." He was basically bouncing at this point.

"No thank you." Clay said firmly, glaring across the room. Karl still stood there, only backing out when the blond stood up to shut the door in his face. I wanted, face solemn as the man I loved kicked out my best friend, but alas he was being annoying.

"What is it you wanted to talk about?" I asked, keeping my voice low and quiet as he returned to me. He sat himself down on the bed and took a few deep breaths, seemingly still unsure what he was wanting to say.
Eventually, he began. "I don't know exactly how to say this…"

"Just say whatever’s on your mind baby." I whispered, hoping the pet name would make it easier, however it just made me blush and look away as I continued to wait for him to talk.
He sighed again. "Well have you ever felt like… you were the…"

"Clay! Clay! Grandma's going downhill again!" Niki cried out, bursting in the room and making an unprecedented scene for the usually quiet and responsible woman. "I don't think she's going to make it. We- we have to go now… George can stay here." She was frantic, as if she had run for a mile, tears pricked at her eyes.

"Niki-" From beside me I saw Clay's lips part, it was clear he wanted to say something but a glance at me caused him to stop. I wondered why. Perhaps it was because he didn't want to leave me alone, but I put on a brave smile for the sake of the two people who were hosting me.

"You can go Clay " I smiled, hand moving to rest on his back. "I'll wait here and cook you guys dinner or something. You should be with your grandmother."
"But George-" He began and I cut him off with the shake of a head.
"Go to your grandmother." I repeated, a caring firmness. "I'll be fine."

Niki tilted her head as she watched us and Clay quietly stood before slinking out of the room. The two didn't exchange a word as they headed out of the building and down the drive to their car. I waited patiently, not moving as I listened to the pair leave. Pity filled me as Niki and Clay left to be with their dying relative.

Without a word I climbed out of the bed. I took my time to get changed, pull my clothes on and head downstairs. When I was sorted and ready for the day I took my time, walking along the hallway of the house. Since I was going to cook a dinner for the two of them in their grandmother's honour I think I should have a picture of her.

Niki had quite a few photos of her and friends from when she was growing up, all littered along the wall. There were, however, not many photos of anyone who was overly grandmother-like. Nor were there any photos of anyone in her family other than her parents.

There wasn't even a photo of anyone who looked much like Clay, or even that other cousin I met one morning. I found it strange, but perhaps Niki was just someone who didn't like family photos around the house.

I paid it no mind as I pulled out my phone, beginning to search for a recipe that I felt the pair would enjoy while being respectful of the occasion. My brows also furrowed as I continued to think about what it was the blond had been wanting to tell me.
______________________________________
1250 words