Chapter 4: The Party

Hooray, party.
______________________________________
George POV.

When it was close to 4pm I stood up, figuring that the party was set up by now and so I should head back. After all, Fundy put in all this hard work and even if I didn’t love him romantically or sexually or anything like that, I should take the time to enjoy it for his sake.

Before I went anywhere I brushed down my outfit, to make it seem as though I hadn’t spent the entire day sitting on the grass in the middle of the park. I then tucked my book under my shirt as I retreated down the path that I had originally come across. The park was quite quiet today, so nobody noticed me crossing the road and heading down a suburban street.

I could hear music playing from a street away, causing an embarrassed hue to creep up my face. Was Fundy even allowed to turn our entire street to a massive blow-out party? Could the police turn up and arrest him? I mean it would be an interesting thing to happen but he was still my boyfriend and I did care about him.

When I rounded the corner the embarrassment multiplied by like a million. There were probably two hundred people in the street, some of whom I didn’t even recognise. Most of them seemed to know who I was as they turned to wave or say hello. I responded with ‘hey’s and ‘hi’s as I weaved between the crowd.

“Georgie!” I was shocked as an arm wrapped around me and saw Fundy grinning. I was feeling overwhelmed by everything that was going on around us but I managed to flash him a smile back. “How are you enjoying the party?” He asked.
“Oh… I just got back.” I responded. “Work was busy, y’know?”

His brows furrowed but he nodded at me. “Well let me show you around. I got all sorts. There are bouncy castles, a petting zoo, face painting, ice cream stalls, and all sorts of other things.”
“Where did you get the money for all this?” I asked, since although he inherited a nice house from his parents, he had a moderate job, just like me.

For a moment he paused, then he spoke up again. “Oh, I have been saving up for ages, and I decided to spend it on my beloved boyfriend.” The redhead squeezed me lovingly while talking and leading me around. “So what do you want to do first? We could make custom candy floss!”

“Custom candy floss?” My brows furrowed. I didn’t know exactly what he meant by that.
“Yeah. you can mix up any flavours that you want. I did like strawberry, blackberry, and watermelon. I called it ‘Summer Fruits!’” He claimed proudly.
“Oh… well that flavour sounds nice.”

“There’s so many more than that.” Fundy continued to ramble as he walked. “There are like twenty flavours or something. Did you know that they do root beer flavour? And popcorn flavour?” He seemed quite happy with his purchase of a cotton candy stall despite the fact that I had never had cotton candy around him.

“That sounds fun, Fundy.” I said through gritted teeth while waving at some people I faintly recognised from work. My other hand was wrapped around my waist so that I wouldn’t end up dropping the book that I had concealed. At some point during this I planned to slip away from the redhead to put my book inside and recollect my thoughts.

As he was navigating me around, I eventually stopped, deciding to try and escape him. “Fundy,” my voice was patient yet firm. “I appreciate you showing me around, but I need to go back to our house to go to the bathroom.” I avoided blushing in embarrassment as I gave the excuse and he nodded.

“Well… you don’t have to go all the way home.” He muttered. “I hired porta-potties, there is one just back there so you don’t have to walk all the way down the street.”
I sighed under my breath, attempting to remain smiley for my boyfriend though. “I’d prefer to just sit in our bathroom.” I told him. “It’s more familiar.”

“Oh… well okay.” He seemed upset, the bright loving spark in his eyes seeming to dim. It made me feel even more guilty and I bit my lip. “I can wait for you.” He offered.
“You don’t have to do that.” I responded. “Go enjoy the party, I’ll come and find you.”

It wasn’t something that the birthday person should be offering, but Fundy seemed reassured by what I said and he nodded. He walked off in one direction and I turned and headed in the other, still holding the book from under my shirt as I gave polite hellos to everybody who I ended up weaving between.

Clay POV

The earpiece crackled as it let us know that George was going back into his house, however despite this most people continued walking, chatting, and trying out different things. For most of them this was a celebration, not for George’s birthday, but for 25 years of the show. It weirded me out, however I didn’t say anything to anyone.

Multiple people took advantage of George disappearing to approach me and ask some questions. Most of the people who lived here were wanting to become actors, and this is the only work they could get, so quite a few of them took the chance to question a successful actor.

This whole thing felt strange to me. I couldn’t believe living a life inside of a TV show, where everything was dictated and made to secretly cater to another person. It just felt like such a bland life to live, but I wouldn’t say anything.

The only reason I was here was because I had met Jimmy at an event and we got drunk. The two of us talked and then we ended up coming to some agreement I barely remembered. I still  kept all of my thoughts down and just spoke happily to the other people around me.

A brunette approached me and smiled. “Hello.” He smiled. “I’m Karl, I play one of George’s best friends.” He greeted me, and I allowed him to shake my hand.
“Oh, yeah.” I responded as I recognised him. “I’ve seen you in quite a few episodes.” I noted, to which he nodded.

“I just wanted to stop and say that I’ve seen all of your movies.” He grinned. “And…” he was cut off as the static started in our ear saying George was coming back outside. “Anyway, I told Fundy that I’d go make sure the presents table looked nice, so maybe I could get an autograph later.” He asked hopefully.

“Sure.” I smiled, before watching as he turned and left into the crowd.
______________________________________
1148 words