♡ FORTY NINE ♡

❝ ᴏɴᴇ's ғᴀᴛᴇ ɪs ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ᴅᴇᴄɪᴅᴇᴅ ʙᴇғᴏʀᴇ
ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ʙɪʀᴛʜ. ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪs ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ
ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇᴇᴅ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴅᴇsᴛɪɴʏ ᴀʟʀᴇᴀᴅʏ
ᴘʟᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ sᴏᴜʟ ❞

~~~

🇰 🇦 🇿 🇮 🇲 🇮 🇷 :

“There you are, Sully!” I drop the key beside the ignition hole, the wind making the keychain hit against my bare palm.

“Rory.” I say, meeting her eyes.

She grunts as she stops beside my bike. “Stop calling me that. It's not my name.”

“And you know damn well my name isn't Sully.”

Fine.” She wines. “Kaz it is.” I smile even though she can't see my lips because of the helmet on my head. She frowns. “Where are you going?”

“Airport.” Her frown deepens.

“What for?”

“I have some things to take care of in New York.” Like convincing Elijah to extend my deadline. It's something he won't agree to on the phone, I know it.

“But…” She stops talking as I rub her head lightly. It's such a brotherly gesture, but I can't help it. God, how I'll miss her. 

“Go spend some time with your brother.” It's an unconscious gesture, but my hand drops to her cheek, moving down to her jaw.

I grab her chin playfully. She scrunches her nose in the most adorable way, and something chips away at my heart.

“I was going to, but he decided at the last minute to fly to New York.” She says softly. My hand freezes halfway, dropping from her face. My heart beats loudly in my ears.

“How…” I breathe. “How long have you known?”

She shrugs, a light smile on her lips. “A while.”

“How long is a while, Theodora?”

“Come back inside, and I'll explain.” She tugs at my biker leathers, hard enough for the bike to tilt to the side. I push the kickstand out before it kisses the concrete.

♡♡♡

Two years. She's known for two years, and hadn't said anything. Her sudden interest in me makes so much sense now.

She flops onto the bed beside me and lays her head on my stomach. The memories I wish we could've had rush through my mind like a dagger to the gut. Torturously slow and blindingly painful.

She throws a ball up at the ceiling, a ball I didn't know she had, and it sticks to the ceiling for a few seconds before dropping into her hands. She repeats the motion.

“I heard you and Hunter talking. Well, I didn't hear what you said, but I could make out your voices.” She catches the ball and looks up at me. “Are you two friends again?” I catch the hopefulness in her voice. I want to tell her our plan, but I can't risk breaking her heart. Not this early.

“Acquaintances.” I correct.

She frowns. “He's your brother.” Her voice is laced with annoyance. It's not upfront, but it's there.

“I lost the privilege of calling him that when I left him in this house with Gabriel.”

“But maybe if you tell him—”