♡ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN ♡

❝ sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ
ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴏᴜɴᴅs ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇsᴛ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

The overhead bell rings to signal lunch. My feet drag me to the cafeteria, but my appetite flew out the car window on our way to school after Hunter told me everything. I take a seat at our table and lay my head against the cool plastic. Maybe it'll help with the nausea.

"He's dangerous. He can't be trusted." I want to believe Hunter. And I know by my body's reaction to all he told me, a part of me does believe him. But deep down, where the part of me that loved Kaz with every fiber of my being had been laid to rest, I know that part refuses to believe all that he said to be true. It can't be. At least, no all of it.

"You okay, angel?" Theo asks. I hear trays being placed onto the table and feel someone sit beside me. I don't lift my head. I mumble an incoherent response instead, and I hear her laugh fill the air around us. A sound so angelic and pure that I almost forget Hunter's words from earlier.

Almost.

"I know you didn't eat this morning," she continues, pushing a tray against the top of my head. "And Josie told me you threw up earlier. Eating something will help." Her hand rubs along the length of my hair.

It's so similar to something mom would do when I feel under the weather that my stomach twists further. Only this time, with a strong longing to fall into her arms and beg her to tell me everything will be alright. Even if we both know it won't.

I lift my head, pull the tray toward me, and start shoveling the food into my mouth, not really tasting it. Hunter pushes a to-go cup toward me, and my eyes zero in on the barbed wire that encircles his middle finger. I don't dare move my eyes further up his arm. The sight of it will only make me feel worse.

"I got you a coffee," he says softly and places a thimble sized container and a few packets of sugar beside it. "I wasn't sure if you drank it black or with creamer. And I wasn't sure how sweet you liked it, or if you drank it bitter, so I decided to give you the option." My eyes find his, and an appreciative smile tugs on my lips.

"Thanks," I mutter as I open the coffee and pour the creamer and sugar into it. With a gentle swirl, I down half of it in one go and sigh when the dizziness fades.

"You're welcome."

Soon, the bell rings for fourth period, and I find myself walking between Hunter and Theo toward our next class. Theo hooks her arm through mine and leans her head against my shoulder. She's slightly shorter, so it's not that much of a strain.

Over the past week, I'd found comfort in Theo's company. And it's weird because I've never been the type to interact with people. They either think I'm rude for never speaking, or I never give them full answers because my nature is to keep to myself. But, with Theo— and Josie, sometimes— it's different.

With the two of them combined, they speak enough for all of us. And they don't mind my one worded answers either. They let me in with no judgement and allowed me to be myself. And I think that's why I got used to their presence so quickly.

"You doing better now?" She asks as we enter the classroom and take a seat near a window. She allows me the window seat for 'much needed fresh air'.

When we take our seats, I finally speak up, "Yeah, I just… I was stuck in my head for a while." Hunter sits in front of me, along with a blond haired boy I've seen countless times in this class. I've never gotten around to knowing his name, though.

"Is it because of what Hunter told you?" My eyes move to him unconsciously, and he turns to us when he hears his name. Our eyes meet, and something flashes in his eyes. Something I'm unable to decipher.

"I'm sorry I brought it up," he speaks before I can, "but you had to know the truth. Better now than later." I give a half-hearted grateful smile, even when my mouth waters to prepare me for the bile that rises up my throat.

Silence thickens the air around us as the lesson starts. I can't seem to focus on what the teacher drones on about, but my attention is dragged to the person a few feet off the campus.

He leans against an all black motorcycle. He's dressed in all black as well. He must be scorching in the sun, but he looks nonchalant to the heat. As if sensing me, his head turns in my direction. And even though the visor of his helmet is down, I can somehow feel his gaze on me.

He starts rolling his sleeves up, with his gaze fixed on mine, and I can't help myself when my eyes drop to his forearms as they fold against his chest. I can see the muscles in them rippling despite the distance between us. A sour taste settles on my taste buds when I realise he has ink on one arm.

And not just any tattoo. The one designed for T&T Assassinations employees. Before I can stop it, the food I shoved down my throat earlier comes rushing up and spills all over my desk.