♡ TWENTY SEVEN ♡

❝ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅsʜɪᴘ ɪs ᴀ ᴍᴜᴛᴜᴀʟ ғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢ. ᴡʜᴇɴ
ɪᴛ ᴄᴇᴀsᴇs ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴍᴜᴛᴜᴀʟ, ɪᴛ ɪs ᴅᴇᴀᴅ.
ɪᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ʙᴜʀɪᴇᴅ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ᴄᴀɴɴᴏᴛ ʙᴇ ʀᴇsᴜʀʀᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

“Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!” I groan loudly when Theo opens my curtains, and the morning sunlight shines onto my face.

“It's such a beautiful day, don't you think?” I mumble a curse word to the universe and turn away from the sun.

She gently rocks my body from side to side. “Gaby… wake up.” I groan in return.

“Fine, you leave me no choice…” her voice trails off, and then a second later, I startle when a pillow hits me across the face. I sit up, confused.

“What the hell?!” My chest is heaving as I look around my room. My eyes finally settle on her as she stares at me with a bright smile on her face.

“Mornin’, Birthday girl.” Her smile widens. My eyebrows draw in confusion. I hadn't told anyone when my birthday was. Even I had almost forgotten. My mind immediately goes to Kaz.

“Who told you?” Her smile quickly turns awkward.

“Remember when Hunter told you about him finding out I was your sister?” I nod, recalling the conversation.

“Yeah, well… along with my birth certificate, was yours… and on that was your birthday.” She gives me a cheshire cat smile. I hold in a laugh at how adorable she is.

“Why didn't you tell me you were turning twenty?!”

“It… slipped my mind,” I shrug. She looks at me as if I'm an alien before her face switches to a sugary sweet smile.

“Up and at ‘em, sleepy head! We have breakfast to eat and classes to attend!” Slowly, my headache starts to set in, and memories of last night rush through my mind like a high-speed train.

I really drank half a bottle of whiskey?? Am I insane?!

“Did Kaz… stay?” I hate how that's the most important thing to me right now. Not desperately wanting pain medication, but to know if Kaz stayed.

She starts pulling clothes out of my closet and inspects them. “Yeah. He… this was actually his room three years ago, before he left, but he decided to let you have it, and take the room down the hall.” I freeze momentarily.

“Hold on, rewind… this was his room. The same room that's right opposite Hunter's?” She lets out a light laugh and takes out one of my one direction t-shirts. Correction; my Larry t-shirt, and a pair of black baggy jeans, and throws them onto my unmade bed. 

“I know, wild, right? Believe it or not, before Kaz left, they were actually best friends.” I move back as if I've been slapped across the face. I don't think I've ever been this shocked in my entire life.

“You're kidding…”

“Surprisingly, I'm not. Also, where are your shoes?” I point toward the cupboard in the corner of my room, and she skips toward it like a kid in a candy store. I smile softly as I watch her.

So this is what it's like to have a sister? I think I like it. I could definitely get used to this.

“What… happened between them?” I ask curiously as she rummaged through my shoe cupboard.

“I don't really know. Hunter never speaks about it. All I know is they both have this huge grudge they refuse to let die.” She squints at my outfit on the bed and then looks at a pair of baby blue converse in her hands. She shakes her head and puts it back.

“Favorite color?” She asks as I get up to brush my teeth.

“Burgundy.” I say as I walk into the ensuite bathroom. I squint against the bright bathroom light, and a sharp pain shoots through my head. I really shouldn't have drank an entire half a bottle.

“Please tell me you're joking.”

“I'm not,” I mumble through a mouthful of toothpaste.

She hops onto the counter in front of me and starts watching me brush my teeth. I spit and look up at her with my eyebrows creased in confusion.

“I forgot to say, Jason, Luka, and Hunter went to the store earlier this morning and bought some breakfast items for you.” She lays her head against the mirror as she continues to watch me. “Just as a little happy birthday from all of us.”

I wash my face, and as I'm drying it, I look at her. “You guys really didn't have to do that.” She waves her hand dismissively at me.

“It's the least we could do. Besides, you're family now. One thing about us… we look after family.” She smiles brightly as she gets off the counter. I follow as she moves into my room again.

“I just…” I pause and swallow against a cluster of memories that wants to flash through my mind like a montage. “I haven't celebrated my birthday in years, and I really don't plan on doing that any time soon.”

“Nonsense,” she says, waving dismissively. She drops to the tiled floor and grabs onto my shoulders gently.

“You're not in New York anymore, Gabs. Your dad isn't here, either. It's time you drown in the happiness you always deserved.” She leans in really close to my face.

“And if you're going to get to know me better, there's one thing you should always remember. Once I set my mind to something, I never back down.” She pauses for a moment. “And if I happen to forget, Jason normally reminds me.”

Anyway,” she says after a brief moment of silence, as she drops her hands from my shoulders. She wraps a slender arm around my torso and guides me into my room.

“Get dressed and come downstairs. You can have breakfast then we'll leave for school. Sound good?” I nod as a reply, and she smiles brightly as she lets go of me. When she leaves, I grab a towel and get into the shower. Maybe it'll help get rid of the numbing pain in my head.