♡ CHAPTER SIXTEEN ♡

❝ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ ᴅᴇsᴘᴇʀᴀᴛᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ɪɴ ʟɪғᴇ ɪs ᴛᴏ
ʟᴏsᴇ ʜᴏᴘᴇ, ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜᴏᴜᴛ ɪᴛ, ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪs
ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ʟᴇғᴛ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

I had to have been imagining him. I had to. Hunter never confirmed he saw it, too. All he did was run in the direction I assumed Kaz had, and I'd followed because I truly believed I saw him in all his blurred masculine beauty. 

When I'd gotten to the front gate, Hunter stood beside it, looking down the street. He stood there for about five minutes or so, and then he'd closed the gate and walked over to me. 

"He's gone," he'd said as he looked around the property. "I'll get the guys to help me search the property just to be safe." And then I'd gone to my room and waited for what felt like forever for an update. 

Two hours passed, and now I sit in my desk chair and stare up at the ceiling for entertainment. I tried drawing or painting something, but somehow, they all ended up being Kaz. Or the outline of him, at least. 

I also tried imagining what his face would look like under the moonlight, but I know that drawing would never do him justice. 

If I compare him to how he'd looked last, I saw him, I know he could only have become more beautiful. I would imagine him to be the type of man to age like wine. Deliciously handsome with a rich voice, alongside those gorgeous honey eyes. The type of handsome that with the mere sight of him would make an angel cry. 

There's a knock on my door, and I mutter a solemn come in. My head tilts in the direction of the door, and I catch that familiar head of dark curls as he closes the door behind him. 

"You can sit down if you want." I say, as I tilt my head to look at the ceiling again. I hear his footsteps as he walks across the room. The wood of the window seat creaks as he sits. I hear him open the window and sigh when the cool breeze hits my calf. 

"He wasn't on the property either," 

"So you did see him?" I tilt my head to look at him. His eyebrows draw together in the cutest way. 

"No," he says, running a hand through his hair as his eyes move around my room. "I mean, yeah, I saw him standing between the trees watching us, but I didn't see him. If that makes sense." His eyes settle on the painting behind me. 

The one of Kaz  that he'd broken. I'd kept it because it was one of the only paintings I imagine I did justice to how Kaz might actually look now. I might have a sliver of attachment issues as well, though. 

"I never actually saw who the painting was of before I destroyed it. Is it—" 

"Yeah," I answer before he can finish the question. His eyes light up with recognition. 

"I'm sorry." He says after a minute of silence. A sigh parts my lips as my eyes drift to the trees outside. The breeze blows the branches in disarray, and the sight brings me a calmness I could never understand. The littlest things in life bring me an indescribable amount of joy and peace. 

"You don't have to keep apologising." My eyes shift back to him. "I think I've forgiven you long ago, and I just kept telling myself I didn't." 

"Well," he claps his hands together and moves to the edge of his seat. I try my utmost best to hold in a laugh. His little gestures and energetic behavior used to annoy me, but somehow, I'm starting to find it all so adorable. And I might not hate that either. 

"How about we start over?" I nod slowly. He jumps up and starts in my direction. 

"Hi, my name's Hunter." He says with all the enthusiasm in the world, as he holds his hand out to me. I take it in mine and ignore the tingles his skin causes. 

"Hi, Hunter. It's nice to meet you." He moves our hands up and then down, never breaking eye contact. 

"You as well," 

"Gabriella." I offer, playing along. He smiles, dimples indenting each cheek.

"Gabriella," he pronounces each syllable. The sound of my name on his lips sends a shockwave to my system. I swallow thickly and smile to cover it all up.

♡♡♡

Four years ago; September 2011.

"Now pull the barrel back," he instructs, and I do as told. Even when I think about denying him, the whipped slashes on my back burn as a warning not to.

My finger finds the trigger, and I press down on it. A loud bang ripples in the air, and I watch as the bullet glides toward the target. A near perfect bullseye. I'd only missed by mere centimeters.

"Again." He orders.

"I—" I regret it the minute the sound emits from my mouth. He grabs me by the back of my neck harshly, his glove clad fingers digging into the flesh.

He pulls me back, and I feel his lips against my ear. His minty breath fanning my cheek as he speaks, "Did I tell you to argue with me?" He asks, unnervingly calm. I'm unable to speak.

His fingers dig further into my skin, making me wince as the pain travels throughout my body. "I asked you a fucking question, gorgeous. I expect an answer."

"No," I squeak.

"No?" He taunts.

"No, you didn't tell me to argue with you." He hums in my ear before shoving me to the ground.

"Now get off your knees before you give me any ideas." A sob lodges in my throat, and tears well in my eyes but I'm quick to stand up, picking the gun up as well.

A rogue tear falls from my eye as I stand in the position I was told to. Shooting at a target I imagine my kidnappers head to be and getting bullseye after bullseye. Praying that someone would come and find me.