♡ CHAPTER TWENTY TWO ♡

❝ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ғᴏʀɢᴇᴛ ɪs ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴀᴅᴠɪᴄᴇ,
ᴜɴʟᴇss ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ,
ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴄᴀsᴇ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇ,
ʙᴜᴛ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ғᴏʀɢᴇᴛ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

I hate myself sometimes.

All the things I do are always impulsive or trauma induced. I can never do things willingly, and I hate it. For the past ten years, I've tried to do things for me, but I always ended up doing something that, at the end of the day, I'd hate myself for.

For instance, I'd done something drastic when I spotted Theo and Jason walking back toward us, with a man in tow. A man with a tattoo sleeve on his left arm, brown curly hair, and beautiful, familiar eyes. When I'd focused on those eyes, realisation drowned my very insides. Those eyes that I could recognize from a million miles away found mine, and I damn near fainted and formed one with the earth beneath me.

I didn't do that, though. What I did was much worse. I'd panicked, seeing him after so long that I grabbed Hunter's face and smashed my lips against his. And at first, I thought it would be the epitome of bad ideas, but then Hunter's lips started moving against mine once his initial shock dissipated.

His hand brushes against my cheek, and he places his palm gently against my jaw. His fingers find the nape of my neck, and he moves it up, splaying his fingers against my scalp and rubbing soothing circles. My stomach flips when he tilts his head to deepen the kiss, and an involuntary moan passes my lips. He swallows it like one would oxygen.

I hadn't expected him to be this good. I might've fucked up more than I could've ever anticipated.

An obnoxious throat clear has us pulling away for air. When we part, I can't help but want to pull him back and get lost in his lips forever. My eyes flutter open to see Hunter staring up at the person who must've cleared their throat.

I'm too scared to look up and find the person I've been longing to see for so long. I've finally started to move on and he decides now is the best time to waltz into my life as if he never left. I refuse to look up into those honey eyes of his and make that real.

"Kazimir." Hunter says stoically, but makes it seem like a greeting.

"Taylors. Long time, no see." My heart skips a beat at the richness of his voice. It's deeper than what I'd imagined. More raspy, too. I swallow thickly in an attempt to rid my body of any and all reactions to him.

I feel his gaze shift to me. It burns against my scalp, but I refuse to lift my head up and meet his eye.

"I see you've gotten yourself a little girlfriend since we last saw each other." Hunter doesn't answer. His eyes narrow as he takes Kaz in. Sizing him up almost, even as he continues to sit on the ground.

"We found him up in one of the trees," Jason says, cutting the tension to make it more bearable. Making it so that I'm able to breathe properly.

"When I called for him, he just dropped down. Didn't even bother running away. And came willingly with us." Hunter's eyes narrow further, and I make the mistake of looking up and meeting Kaz's gaze.

When my eyes meet his, a spark dances across his irises, and one end of his lips tug upward the slightest bit, but he doesn't smile. He just stares at me as if it's the first time seeing me. I'm suddenly self conscious under his gaze, tugging at my shirt and scratching at my arm.

He moves his eyes away from me. "What do you want?" Hunter asks, finally standing to his full height. I stand as well.

"Can't a guy just come and say hi to some old friends?"

"No," Hunter folds his arms against his chest, and the motion makes Kaz smile. My eyes move between the two of them as worry settles heavy on my chest. I have no idea what either of them are capable of.

"Everything you do is for a reason. You really think I'm dumb enough to believe you want to come say hi?" Kaz's smile turns almost wicked.

"You really want me to answer that, golden boy?"

I hadn't even realised I'd been scratching my arm all this time. My skin burns from my nails scraping against it, and sure enough, when I look down at it, it's bright red.

"Can we," I speak up, and swallow my tongue when both of them turn their attention to me. I let out a shallow breath. "Can we go inside? It's getting late, and I'm really tired."

"Yeah," Theo manoeuvres past them and hooks her arm through mine. "Let's go inside. You've had a really shitty day, and you need some rest."

As we make our way to the house, I can't brush off the feeling of Kaz watching my every move.