♡ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ♡

❝ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪғᴜʟ ᴏʀ
ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴀɴᴛ. ɪᴛ ɪs ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴏғᴛᴇɴ ʙɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴀɪɴғᴜʟ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

Two days later...

A loud honking pulls me out of a daze. For the past two days, all I could think about was Kaz. What he looks like now. What he was doing here. And mostly, if he misses me as much I miss him.

I sling my book bag over one shoulder and make my way down the stairs and out the door. Hunter sits on the hood of the car, dressed in an all black outfit. Black baggy jeans, black air forces, and a black short sleeve t-shirt. A silver chain that sits around his neck catches the light of the morning sun, nearly blinding me.

It's an odd color choice, considering it'll be nearly ninety-five degrees today, but who am I to judge when he looks good in black.

I stop in front of the back door when he speaks up, "Everyone's still getting ready. You can sit in the front seat and put the air-con on while we wait." He holds out his hand toward me and twirls the key on his index finger as an invite to take the offer. I decide against it and sit beside him on the hood.

He shifts beside me and slowly lays against the windshield. "I was thinking," he pauses suddenly and looks over at me almost expectantly. My eyebrow arches, and his lips tug into a ghost of a smile.

"Sorry," he says, "whenever I say that, I always get a reply along the lines of 'oh god, that's never good' so I was just expecting you to say it as well."

"I wasn't going to." Sincerity drowns my words. "What were you thinking about?" His tongue darts out to wet his lips as his gaze moves to the front door.

"I've been trying to wrack my brain for reasons on why Kazimir came back here after all this time." My eyes dart to him.

"Came back here?" I ask, confused.

"Yeah," he says, "probably five or six years ago, he came here with your dad—" a chill runs down my spine, and my heart rate spikes. They all know each other. That thought doesn't sit right with me.

"You met my dad?"

"Okay. How about I catch you up on everything first before I tell you about Kaz."

♡♡♡

I feel like I'm about to throw up.

My stomach twists, and my vision becomes blurry. My head is spinning. Or perhaps it's the room. I can't really tell.

"My dad and yours made this company. An assassin company." Bile rises up my throat, leaving a burning sensation in its wake.

"It's where they train children—us— in the art of self-defense. But it quickly turned to something more twisted than that." My hand finds the bathroom stall door, and I shove it open, falling to my knees. Everything I'd eaten yesterday is evicted from my stomach.

"Kazimir is your father's best assassin. He's ruthless. Sick. And altogether, a complete sociopath." The vomiting stops, but my heart still beats fast, and my breathing only worsens as his words keep replaying in my head like a broken record.

"I know you two have a long history, but the person you spoke about is not the same person I'm telling you about. Either he's changed since you last saw him, or he was always like this and never showed you who he truly is."

I don't think it's his words that are making me feel this way. It's the image of his tattoo. A replica of my kidnappers. The tattoo that was given to all who work for the assassin company Hunter mentioned. And I have this sickening feeling that I've seen my kidnappers face without even realising it. The thought makes me nauseous all over again.