♡ FORTY FOUR ♡

❝ ɢᴜɪʟᴛʏ ᴍɪɴᴅs ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɢᴜɪʟᴛʏ ғᴇᴀʀs ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

It's been an entire week since Kaz ripped my heart out of my chest, for the, probably thousandth time since I've known him. And I hate to admit that I've cried more times than I could keep count of.  What hurts more is how Hunter listens to every word I speak of Kaz and wipes away every tear I shed, but doesn't show a single ounce of pain as he does it.

I know deep down it hurts him, seeing me like this. But, for some reason, he says nothing. All he does is hug me after, and sometimes make me cookies and prepare ice cream for me as a little pick me up.

What I hate about myself is that, even when the perfect boyfriend is right in front of my eyes, treating me how I've always wanted to be treated, some shrivelled part of my heart that I should've killed years ago, still longs for the one that doesn't want me.

I squint when a bright light blinds me momentarily and pulls me out of my head. My sight comes back in spurts only to be blinded again.

“Oh, shit. Sorry, angel.” Theo's voice reaches my ears, and suddenly, my mood lifts a fraction from what it was before.

“What is that?” I ask, blinking rapidly to gain my vision back.

“A knife.” My eyes snap to hers, my eyebrows raised.

“A… kni—” I shake my head, “Right. Assassins. I forgot.”

She lets out a cute little laugh that I can't help smiling at. “You do know we don't normally wear weapons on us all the time, right? Well, Kaz probably—” The mere sound of his name falling from her lips is like she's slashing my heart with the knife she twirls so casually in her hand. “—carries around ten because I'd seen slivers on metal in his waistband and biker boots. Let's be honest, though, he probably has more than ten because he—”

“Where'd you get it?” I ask, changing the subject. She pauses, looking down at the blade. My eyes shift there as well. The mahogany wood glistens in the morning sun, along with the gold flecks edged into the wood. It looks like something you'd take months to make. The blade itself has some sort of swirl carved into it, but from where I'm sitting, I'm unable to see further.

“Kaz,” She says in that bright voice of hers. And even when her presence makes everything better, I can't help the stabbing pain in my heart.

“He made it. I still have no idea how he can make something so intricate in a matter of days. Isn't it pretty?”

“He made that?” I swallow against the lump forming in my throat. I can't even talk about him without choking up. Somehow, she doesn't notice the brittleness of my voice.

“Yeah. But don't tell him I find it cool that he does. His ego is massive enough, I don't want him holding that over my head as well.” She twirls it between her fingers for a second before holding the handle out to me.

“Also, he made it for you.” I stare down at it as if it'll burn my skin if I even think of touching it. She brings it to my hand, and I visibly recoil at the wood touching my skin. She pulls it away from me instantly.

“If you don't want it, I can keep it.”

“Keep it.” I mutter, standing abruptly and walking away from her. It may be rude, but I can't bear to be in the presence of something he touched, let alone made. It's still too soon.

♡♡♡

Thump.
Thump.
Thump.