♡ CHAPTER NINETEEN ♡

❝ sᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇs ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ
ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ
ɪʟʟᴜsɪᴏɴs ᴅᴇsᴛʀᴏʏᴇᴅ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

I think I'm doing better.

I hope I'm doing better.

Theo helped me to the nurse's office after the janitor came and cleaned my desk and offered me clean clothes from the lost and found. But Hunter sits in my company now, while Theo goes to all our other classes and takes notes for all of us. It's easier since we all do the same subjects.

"I saw someone outside." I blurt. My eyes stay focused on the heart monitor ahead of me that slowly starts to pick up. His eyes burn holes into my skin.

"Kazimir?" I feel my head move from side to side.

"No, not Kaz." I take a deep breath and hope my heartbeat slows down. It doesn't. "A couple of years ago, I was kidnapped, and I vividly remember him having that exact tattoo you do."

"I—"

"I know it wasn't you, I know that. But I can't stop thinking about how I might've met my kidnapper again after all these years. Or maybe I didn't. Maybe he just had the tattoo and went rogue or something."

"Before my dad and yours had their falling out, the amount of assassins were a lot. And when they did have their falling out, the majority took to your dad's side. Some type of power move or something, I don't really know, but he was seen as the one who could make them stronger. I only stayed because of—"

"Your dad?" I offer. His lips tug into a forced smile.

"No," he says with a laugh, "I only stayed because of Theo and the others. I would never leave them." My heart aches to feel that type of love. The type where it would be second nature to follow your heart.

"So, my kidnapper could be anyone?" I ask after a moment. He runs a hand along his jaw, staring into the distance with a thoughtful look on his face.

"I mean, I have a few ideas of who it could be. But," he adds, "the way we were taught by both your dad and mine can help us identify your kidnapper." My eyebrows pull together in confusion. He stands suddenly.

"Elijah once told us that in order to master the art of assassination, one must do it the way one would." He must see the confusion on my face because he smiles softly, and continues, "What he meant by that was that he wanted us to master how to become a living, breathing, killing machine the way we, ourselves would."

"For example," he makes a gesture at nothing with his hand, "if I were to kill someone, he would want to take one look at the corpse and immediately tell it was me who killed the target." His gaze fixates on me. The way he talks so easily about this makes me uncomfortable, but I listen regardless.

"So, what I'm trying to get at is… if you explain to me how your kidnapper trained you, I'd be able to figure out his identity." Both of our heads snap to the door as it opens, and the nurse steps inside. I look at Hunter and watch him step out of the nurse's way.

"We can continue this conversation after school," he says, walking toward the door. "I have some files I'll give you, too, once you help me to figure out your situation." The nurse looks between the two of us with confusion written all over her expression. I smile in an attempt to have her brush him off. She does, thankfully.

Once Hunter leaves, she tells me that I might just be experiencing mild pms symptoms and that I need to drink more water. I thank her, and leave to go to my next class.