♡ CHAPTER FIFTEEN ♡

❝ ɢʀɪᴇғ, ɪ'ᴠᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴅ, ɪs ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴊᴜsᴛ ʟᴏᴠᴇ.
ɪᴛ's ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ɢɪᴠᴇ ʙᴜᴛ
ᴄᴀɴɴᴏᴛ ❞

~~~

🇰 🇦 🇿 🇮 🇲 🇮 🇷 :

The sun shines bright in the sky today. Brighter than yesterday, somehow. Though the moon may be my favorite part of this cruel planet turning, I sometimes see the beauty in the sun.

It had always shone on the perfect angles of Ella's face. No, I retract that statement. Everything about her is perfect. It had always shone in the perfect spot to accentuate her beauty.

My foot finds the perfect placing, and I hold onto the cracks that had formed in the wall from being weathered away over the past couple of decades. I jump the wall with ease and land on the other side with a gentle thud.

The wet grass squeaks underneath my feet almost satisfyingly as I trudge toward the wooden mansion situated deep in the forest of Taylors Manor. An almost longing floods my system when I catch the green of it. Somehow, it reminds me of the emerald of her irises. A gorgeous bright green that with the mere sight could bring me an immense amount of joy.

An emotion only she could truly ever make me feel.

The water glistens under the midday sun, almost like her eyes would when she'd look at me. A look of admiration so strong, I would nearly fall to my knees just to show her how much I admired her.

My heartbeat increases as memories of her rush through my mind like a high-speed train. As I open the door of the abandoned mansion, I force a shallow breath through my nose and inhale through my mouth. I do that for at least a minute interchangeably, and soon, my erratic heartbeat turns to the normal seventy beats per minute.

My footfalls echo around the halls of the wooden structure as I make my way up the stairs and to the last room down the hall. There's an almost eerie silence in this part of Taylors Manor, save for the birds chattering high up in the trees, that brings me an odd type of comfort. A comfort I hadn't felt in my life unless Ella was around.

I enter the room, and a gust of dust flutters into the air like a spray of glitter. It lingers on my bare forearms, sticky and almost wet, like a second skin. I ignore it for now and let my eyes move along the boxes that litter the floor. Old, dust, and cobweb infested cardboard boxes filled with the information I came here for.

♡♡♡

I nearly jump for joy when my eyes catch Elijah's name on a thick stack of pages. I flip through it quickly, catching the familiar words he told me to look out for.

Rape. Murder. Assault.

This has to be it. My movements come to a halt when the front door creaks open and familiar footsteps sound around the house. The decaying wood groans under his weight as he makes his way up the stairs. I quickly tuck the pages into my waistband and move the boxes back into place.

I hide in the closet that's situated in the far corner of the room. He enters seconds later and looks around the room, I'm assuming taking it in. I curse myself for forgetting to hide my footprints that formed from the dust littering the floor.

Maybe he won't notice.

A soft sigh of relief passes my lips when he steps on my tracks as he runs his fingers along the boxes. He squats done in front of the box I'd found Elijah's criminal record. He opens the box and digs through it, and when he finds nothing, he moves the box to dig through the one below it. Ten minutes pass when he slumps and falls onto his ass.

"I don't understand," he mutters to himself. A smile tugs on my lips at the confused look on his face. I can practically hear the gears turning in that thick head of his, and I revel in his stupidity.

He gets up suddenly and starts wiping his clothes off as he makes his way to the door. When I hear him step over the threshold of the front door, I make my escape. But something pulls me in the direction he'd just left, and for some reason, I listen. I let my feet drag me toward the one person I wish I could've never seen again. Toward the place, I had no choice but to visit today.

I creep along the trees beside the brick mansion and watch as he climbs the side of it. Instead of going to the window I know is his room, he starts in the direction of where mine used to be. The one right opposite his.

I lean against a tree that gives me the perfect view of my old bedroom, and when my eyes flutter up to where he is, everything stops. The movement of the trees. The chirping of birds and the flapping of their wings. My breathing, and perhaps my heart as well.

And there the moonlight is, shining so beautifully bright in the sky and forming a spotlight on the only person that ever truly mattered to me. She sits on the rooftop, earbuds in her ears, and her head lays against the framing of the window above her.

Her eyes are closed, and her face, peaceful. She looks as elegant as I remember her, though her features are a little more sharp, and her body more delicious.

Golden boy places his dusty hand on her delicate shoulder, and I watch as she startles. Anger bubbles up my throat. How dare he think he can touch her, and then take it further by startling her. Before I have the chance to act on my violent tendency, Ella balls her hand into a fist and goes straight for the jugular. Really gracefully too, might I add.

My lips pull into a full-blown smile as pride settles on my chest. "That's my girl," I mutter under my breath.

Maybe one day I'll say it to your face, darling.

I watch in horror as she crawls to his side and says sorry. Apologising to someone who deserved what had come to him. He mutters something I couldn't care less about, and I zone out as she continues to talk to him.

I let my eyes take in her features. I always loved the way she would show how she felt in the tiniest ways. She would normally not let anyone know how she felt, but if you looked close enough, you would notice the tell-tale signs of hidden anxiety.

Those emerald eyes of hers would glaze over and become a dimmer shade. She'd suddenly become itchy in only her upper right arm. And her jaw would set so that she could grind them together in order for her to focus on that and not the rush of thoughts that seem to cloud her mind.

She does all of this now, and golden boy doesn't seem to notice. He just stares at her like a fucking lost puppy.

I think I'm going to be sick.

He mutters something to her, and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. Crimson crawls onto her cheeks. The sight makes my hand itch to grab the blade from my back pocket and lodge it into his throat.

That's not what I came here for.

Maybe if I keep repeating it, my violent ways will believe it.

Her angelic laugh echoes around the property like a song straight from heaven, and I'm suddenly looking for something other than a knife to throw at him.

A stone should suffice. I pick it up between my middle finger and thumb, flicking it up toward him with my index finger. It doesn't hit his throat like I'd wanted, but it does bounce off his head and I count that as a victory when I see him wince.

Ella's gaze moves along the trees where I am. She finds me unsurprisingly quickly. She's so set in her ways that it's almost unbearably adorable. Her eyes become a darker shade of emerald as she stares at me. Imperial almost.

I just can't help myself when my eyes drop to her lips. Even from this far, they're the perfect shade of pink and look as soft as a satin pillow. I bet they taste as sugary sweet as they did six years ago too.

My heart skips in my chest when my name falls from her mouth and brushes against my cheek like a gentle kiss.

Then he says my name and the taste in my mouth turns sour. He starts climbing down from the rooftop and I take that as my cue to leave.

I have all that I came here for, no need to stick around longer than I should.